Author Topic: Interesting and though provoking video  (Read 1960 times)

Raaj

• NG Member
Interesting and though provoking video
« on: September 13, 2015, 15:14:48 »
A friend shared this video on art - http://www.prageruniversity.com/History/Why-is-Modern-Art-so-Bad.html#.VfV0A87n35l  after a vigorous debate on another forum about what constitutes "art".  I'm not sure if this is the right place to share this, so apologies if I posted this in the wrong place.

Cheers,
   -raaj
Raaj Shinde

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
Re: Interesting and though provoking video
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 16:01:00 »
The problem with "Art" is it's just like politics, when you start debating about it, you end up bruising egos... :-)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 16:32:53 »
J is correct - people are offended if you don't agree with them on the subject. They just dont "get" it like I do :)
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 07:40:17 »
There is a lot of junk that's called art, but there's also a lot of stuff that people make that's interesting and fascinating, but doesn't fit into a pre-established school of thought.
Note:  Just so you guys know, "Prager University" is an internet product of Dennis Prager, an American radio talk show host.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Prager
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 06:55:15 »
There is a lot of junk that's called art, but there's also a lot of stuff that people make that's interesting and fascinating, but doesn't fit into a pre-established school of thought.
Note:  Just so you guys know, "Prager University" is an internet product of Dennis Prager, an American radio talk show host.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Prager

Interesting. Once/When I am anointed with world wide dictatorial powers ... there will be no more arguments of politics and art. Everything will be settled.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 08:47:06 »
... art is but an empty word yet a vessel for any adjective,
say the art of ...

black_bird_blue

• NG Member
  • If you can't be safe, be stylish.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 03:30:43 »
The problem with "Art" is it's just like politics, when you start debating about it, you end up bruising egos... :-)

Only if the egos are determined to be bruised. Otherwise you just discover different viewpoints... :-)

My take on all this is pretty simple. If you want to charge me a lot of money for it, I need to see the merit in it. If you don't want to charge me money I am more flexible in my outlook. And if I like it, I don't care who else does or doesn't; nor am I particularly interested in unsolicited opinions - they are just people looking to find out if my ego is more or less bruisable than theirs, which is tiresome.
Damian Harty

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 09:00:53 »
Right. Situation becomes different when art is subsidized and subsidies get centralized (hence "official art"). That was one of the reasons for impressionists reacting against the "pompiers" as we call them, noting that of course the pompiers were very good in their own style, and again enjoy the appreciation they deserve. See musée d'Orsay in Paris for instance, where both and many others area on display.

Even when art receives few subsidies, you cannot avoid other forms of dominance via sponsoring and advertising, which is another, not even subtle form of "official art", which is not even democratically controlled. Free markets are a fiction.

In addition, "making a difference" has more vital than ever, because of quick and cheap communication. In a similar domain, local musicians or composers could make a living with their art, even one century ago. That's over.
Airy Magnien