Author Topic: Otus Conspicuous by It's Absence  (Read 6543 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Otus Conspicuous by It's Absence
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 00:56:11 »
What aboput service?

My local camera dealer was quite open and said something like "A 7XX means send to service wait for weeks and see what happens."

No NPS, which is very important for me.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 08:03:47 »
Having to charge the camera at every opportunity, as busy, phone-dependent folks do with their smartphones(in the car, at the office, on location, at the restaurant--- all in a single day), is not a desirable state of affairs. I miss the Nikon D3 I had...the battery lasted a month.

Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 10:34:23 »
Likely it is quite difficult to achieve Otus level performance in a f/1.4 DSLR wide angle.
If the current models are any guide, a wide Otus would have to be huge, with a lot of aspheric elements and special glasses, and very expensive. Maybe they would go for f/2 instead to maintain a better balance of quality, cost and size?

Danulon

• NG Supporter
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 16:10:38 »
After the recent announcement in Germany by Zeiss of the new Milvus line, with both Ming Thein (my favorite photographer) and Lloyd Chambers in attendance, perhaps I missed it, but the elephant in the room IMO is the lack of any follow-up comments by either Ming Thein or Lloyd Chambers on the next Otus.

This, after we all have waited a good year for the announcement. I can only surmise that this means there is one coming and perhaps soon and they don’t want to say anything now. The new Otus is conspicuous by its absence.

Great blog by Ming Thein on his visit to Zeiss, Germany.

http://blog.mingthein.com/2015/09/12/a-visit-to-zeiss-and-thoughts-on-the-milvus-line/

I read the article - including the comment section. Ming Thein stated that he can't say anything about any upcoming Otus lenses - even if he did know anything. So one way or another the silence is due to a NDA. And why should Zeiss diminish the PR effect of its new Milvus line by announcing another Otus?!

Further down the comment section Thein writes that quality control of Otus production could be very demanding and a logistical challenge due to Zeiss' high Otus quality standards.

Make your own guess about these statements... ;)

At least for me the Milvus line and the future of ZF.2 lenses is more interesting than another Otus "brick". I don't like the way the two new optics are headed: two more heavy fast lenses. Is there no demand for slower (= lighter) high quality lenses?
Guenther Something

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 20:11:13 »
Is there no demand for slower (= lighter) high quality lenses?

Agree that there should be!

I make some good use of f/4 lenses. Would like to see that option more widely available.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 20:58:49 »
You guys should join the Leica M family
You would love the 24mm 3.8 and the many other Leica M gems!
Erik Lund

annediNGMember

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2015, 21:19:57 »
I for sure would enjoy having that Leica Monochrom !!

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2015, 00:11:54 »
I would already be there, except the Leica finder is no-go for me. I can't see the framelines wider than about 50mm with glasses on, and taking them on and off doesn't work for me.  One would think that the finder could have a larger hole to look through, but not so far!
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA