Author Topic: Sigma 35/1.4 ART - Not having much luck..  (Read 2019 times)

Raaj

• NG Member
Sigma 35/1.4 ART - Not having much luck..
« on: September 12, 2015, 20:58:59 »
Any of you fine folks get a decent copy of the Sigma 35/1.4 ART for Nikon?  I'm just about to return lens #2.  The first one has very erratic AF despite adjustments via the Sigma Dock.  That was returned and the second one is less erratic with AF (though not terribly consistent) but is very soft.  Hoping third time is a charm...

Interested to hear your experiences and of course see any images.

Thank!

Cheers,
   -raaj
Raaj Shinde

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Re: Sigma 35/1.4 ART - Not having much luck..
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 22:49:30 »
Went through two Sigma 120-300/2.8 lenses with heavy back focus issues in 2007, the second had even worse back focus than the first.

Returned it for Nikkor 70-200/2.8VR with 1.7TC and never looked back as I never had focus issues with any Nikon lens I've owned or borrowed.

Even now that cameras can be adjusted for focus issues and the Sigma lenses can even be tuned via the dock it'll take a long time before I touch another Sigma lens, they are making some great lenses now but I simply don't have the time to deal with failing equipment as it frustrates me greatly (one of my many shortcomings).

I hope you have more luck, if it works that 35/1.4 should be a killer lens.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Raaj

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 00:20:05 »
Went through two Sigma 120-300/2.8 lenses with heavy back focus issues in 2007, the second had even worse back focus than the first.

Returned it for Nikkor 70-200/2.8VR with 1.7TC and never looked back as I never had focus issues with any Nikon lens I've owned or borrowed.

Even now that cameras can be adjusted for focus issues and the Sigma lenses can even be tuned via the dock it'll take a long time before I touch another Sigma lens, they are making some great lenses now but I simply don't have the time to deal with failing equipment as it frustrates me greatly (one of my many shortcomings).

I hope you have more luck, if it works that 35/1.4 should be a killer lens.

Thanks, Jan.  Your comments mirror my frustration.  I spend much time testing the first lens and then trying to tune it with the USB Dock before coming to the conclusion that it was a bad copy.  The second one too is bad in that it's very soft and the AF seems to be erratic.  Ill try one more time as I like the rendering I see on some of the sample images.  If the third does not work out, I'll probably stay way from Sigmas too.  I like what good copies of the 35 and 50 Art can do, but testing many samples is not something that I either enjoy or have time for :(

BTW, my experience with the Nikkor is like yours - they just work.

Cheers,
   -raaj
Raaj Shinde

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 08:15:17 »
Frustrating as the Sigma lenses could potentially add so much value.
I returned a Sigma before also - just found it very inconsistent in performance.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za