Author Topic: The Wine Bar in Ramelton: The Wonder Boys & Pat Crowley  (Read 2335 times)

afx

• NG Member
  • Grumpy Bavarian from Munich
    • AFXImages
The Wine Bar in Ramelton: The Wonder Boys & Pat Crowley
« on: September 12, 2015, 15:17:41 »
The most interesting things while traveling are the unplanned ones.

After a days drive through rainy northwest Ireland our Landlady from Frewin House sent us to the bridge bar for dinner. We walked down to the bridge through an area that felt deserted, not even trees in the front yard.

Once we reached the water level a few shops started to appear and we could see a pub across the bridge. A quite nice place with good seafood. As usual in these parts sometime after 9pm two guys set up and started to play. Not Irish folk but Rock… They were way better than the touristy pub stuff we encountered later in Dublin.
But we still left them shortly after ten because of a new acquaintance that my wive made while going out the door for a smoke .
There was a white haired old geezer smoking outside that told her she should visit the Wine Bar after ten, there would be music to blow your head off (after having complimented her on her legs ;-)
That guy seemed to live off the royalties of some Moody Blues songs.

Well, my wife, always interest in finding new musical exploits, was very keen to go there and so we went shortly after 10.

We were in for a huge surprise. McDaid's Wine Bar is a wine bar because the owner does not have a beer license, but you can get cider and wine there. It is basically three small rooms, the first having a bar and a sofa, the second had a fireplace with a cosy (actually too warm) fire burning and in the third room the band was setting up. We actually managed to get two seats in the second room with a bit of a view of the band.
I did not plan on staying long as I was very tired. could not leave, the music was too good.

To give you a sense of the size of the venue, here is a view from the outside, the left window goes into room two and the one on the right allows a glimpse of the band in room three:

The owner used to be a band manager in 60's. A whole musical life could be seen on the walls, including golden records:

They guys that played that evening where the Wonder boys with a guest singer (Pat Crowley). The first thing we noticed was the sound quality. A lot better than many rock concerts we've been to. Chrystal clear! 
And what a sound! Blues/Bluerock of the finest sort. The gentlemen definitely had not exaggerated.

My view, with the keyboards being hidden behind a wall:

James the owner at work:

There was a lot of attention to detail, even in front of the downstairs restroom:

All shots with a D750 and the 50/1.8G.

Department rumor says the place might not exist for much longer. Anyone up in the northwest of Ireland should visit it while it lasts. It is not open daily, so inquire ahead.

cheers
afx

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Re: The Wine Bar in Ramelton: The Wonder Boys & Pat Crowley
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 15:47:16 »
Very nice, great story, hidden treasure it seems.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 16:12:41 »
Fantastic place and what a story!!! :) wb seems a little off for the first shot compared to the second.
Erik Lund

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 16:42:23 »
Very interesting. And great photo's. 

Striking the owner has the golden record of 10 CC's Deceptive Bends with favourite numbers like Good Morning Judge,  The Things We Do for Love,  Marriage Bureau Rendezvous and People in Love.  ;) 

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 16:56:11 »
Lucky you for finding the place and having a wife with great legs.   ;)

I hate when greed eliminates culture ... when the owners keep raising the lease and a decade or so of meeting the needs of the community the renter has to leave, or tear down an establishment in favor of a Laundromat or connivence store or cookie cutter chain restaurant.   
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

afx

• NG Member
  • Grumpy Bavarian from Munich
    • AFXImages
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 21:32:20 »
Thanks guys.

Lucky you for finding the place and having a wife with great legs.   ;)
She's 1.88 ;-)
Plenty of legs....

I hate when greed eliminates culture ... when the owners keep raising the lease and a decade or so of meeting the needs of the community the renter has to leave, or tear down an establishment in favor of a Laundromat or connivence store or cookie cutter chain restaurant.
In that case it is probably more related to the health of the owner ;-(

cheers
afx

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 08:37:36 »
Texture and moody rich. Nice set!
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za