Author Topic: Fuzzy Branch  (Read 3873 times)

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
Fuzzy Branch
« on: September 12, 2015, 08:44:08 »
I don't know why but I get fascinated by Lichen and other plantlife that grows on stone and trees.

The point that got my attention is the small pale hairy blob in the middle, but somehow the setting seemed important too:

Mike G

Re: Fuzzy Branch
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 09:18:54 »
I like this Colin, the blob maybe a variety of sphagnum moss! But of I'm not sure of course.

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 05:41:27 »
Thanks Mike, I've only ever come across Sphagnum in its dried form (for the garden!)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 09:18:30 »
Very nice. They are indicators of fresh and clean air. For years we didn't have them because of the sulfur dioxide (and other stuff) coming from Moerdijk (Petrol-installations). They are  returning since 2006 but are very slow growers.

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 17:38:27 »
+1 Colin. I'm just back from Dartmoor and I'm always surprised by how long they grow there.
Bruno Schröder

Reality is frequently inaccurate. (Douglas Adams)

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 23:49:42 »
For years we didn't have them because of the sulfur dioxide (and other stuff) coming from Moerdijk .

Sorry to hear this John. Was that a very industrialised area?

The place this picture was taken is quite a long way from any sources of pollution and has an abundance of fresh air - sometimes too fresh (but always beautiful)!

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 23:53:01 »
I'm just back from Dartmoor

I'm so glad to hear this - have you been before? What led you there (Dartmoor sometimes has a reputation for bleakness and extreme weather)?

Here are a few more I've taken from previous visits to Devonshire and Dartmoor
http://www.pbase.com/celidh/devonshire&page=all

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 09:28:57 »
Sorry to hear this John. Was that a very industrialised area?
The area here is not really industrialised, and the petrol-installations were more than 100km away, but Lichens are very sensitive to even a small kind of air-pollution.  Some information is here:   http://www.air-quality.org.uk/19.php

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 22:56:19 »
I'm so glad to hear this - have you been before? What led you there (Dartmoor sometimes has a reputation for bleakness and extreme weather)?

I love Dartmoor!

I've probably been there over 30 times. My wife's aunt is living nearby and we are visiting her twice a year. Every time we spend 2 days on the moor and have never been disapointed. You're right about the weather though :)

Thanks for the link, nice pictures of places I'll remember to visit next time. I've tons of photos too but nothing online. I'll make a selection and post later.
Bruno Schröder

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 03:21:28 »
They are indicators of fresh and clean air.

I did not know that!! Very interesting.That central bunch of lichens (or moss or ?) would be nice in a close-up too. Lichens make for some interesting 'minimalist' abstractions. Well not really abstraction, per se, because the subject is real, but a viewer may not always know what they are seeing in a close foto of lichens on rocks or trees. Some lichens are also very interesting when photographed in IR.

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 19:07:57 »
John - thanks for the info

Bruno - ahh, so you've been there more times than me. Ever been in Winter?
We visited last Easter. We got snow on our last day and when we went to see the waterfalls at Lydford Gorge, there were frozen icicles all along the rock faces.

Andrea - thanks. The original image may not stand enlargement, but I agree as a subject they have an abstract charm all of their own.

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 23:49:13 »
I've been in winter too but had snow only once, we even left a snowman on Haytor  :). I'll be there again for Christmas or New Year.
Bruno Schröder

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 23:25:44 »
I'll be there again for Christmas or New Year.

What a good idea.
Actually what was surreal was that as we started to drive across Dartmoor itself, we passed a snowplough going the other way (in August)!!!!

There's a place on the Scilly isles called Hell Bay. I've always wanted to book a stay in the hotel nearby in (say) February, or some month when the storms are spectacular. The only thing is I think you'd need to flexible about when you went home as the flights & boats probably pause when weather's really bad.

More info here

Here's a short video of the island of Bryher - of course the footage was all taken in warm sunny weather (when the islands are superb)
https://youtu.be/isPnnwMxGc0

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 13:41:29 »
In addition to the improved air in the area, this Lichen has started to develop on a Sorbus in my garden.  ;) 

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 15:44:32 »
In addition to the improved air in the area, this Lichen has started to develop on a Sorbus in my garden.  ;)

This is a spooky one John...