Author Topic: Dallas County Jail  (Read 4764 times)

Rick Waldroup

• NG Member
    • Rick Waldroup Photography
Dallas County Jail
« on: September 11, 2015, 01:03:42 »
Dallas County Jail - Dallas, Texas - September 10, 2015

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
Re: Dallas County Jail
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 06:54:39 »
 ;D

I can see why you drove your editor nuts. They would send you out on assignment to shoot the jail and you'd come back with this. LOL ... I can see this shot in your book.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Rick Waldroup

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 11:14:02 »
Thanks, Gary.

Very, very early in my career, I was fired as a sports photographer.  I was hired to shoot high school football, which is next to God here in Texas.  I kept coming back with a lot of shots of people in the stands, which I found infinitely more interesting than the action on the field.  My editor called me the worst sports photographer he had ever seen and fired me.  He was right....

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 12:58:53 »
Thanks, Gary.

Very, very early in my career, I was fired as a sports photographer.  I was hired to shoot high school football, which is next to God here in Texas.  I kept coming back with a lot of shots of people in the stands, which I found infinitely more interesting than the action on the field.  My editor called me the worst sports photographer he had ever seen and fired me.  He was right....

Ah... great story.. :-) I was wondering too at the panel "hiding" the prison ! Here if you get caught at taking pictures of prisons (as "La Santé" in Paris) you get arrested (fined mostly after they find out you're not trying to find an escape route :-)) !
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 15:46:17 »
Thanks, Gary.

LOL ... you were facing the wrong way. LOL

I was about to say ... "but, you were just a kid", when it dawned on me, even today, if you shot a game, you'ld probably still be facing the wrong way. I am on my second sip of coffee and I think for clarity I need to tell you that I was serious about your book.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala

Rick Waldroup

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 13:02:01 »
A book by a local publisher was once in the planning stages a few years back.  Eventually we could not see eye-to-eye on several key editing details and I abandoned the project.  However, I am seriously considering self-publishing a book sometime late this year or early next year.  We'll see.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 13:59:42 »
Strong personality!!!
Erik Lund

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 16:43:52 »
A book by a local publisher was once in the planning stages a few years back.  Eventually we could not see eye-to-eye on several key editing details and I abandoned the project.  However, I am seriously considering self-publishing a book sometime late this year or early next year.  We'll see.

I definitely will want a copy from the first run.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 18:57:33 »
Rick, concept and presentation are just brilliant.

Being the "worst ever" at something many pepople try is also a compliment :)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 23:55:02 »
Great shot Rick, very striking by itself and more so when the death row discussions heat up again.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 00:20:42 »
Thanks, Gary. Very, very early in my career, I was fired as a sports photographer.  I was hired to shoot high school football, which is next to God here in Texas.  I kept coming back with a lot of shots of people in the stands, which I found infinitely more interesting than the action on the field.  My editor called me the worst sports photographer he had ever seen and fired me.  He was right....

Cool you. I like Robert Frank and Diane Arbus too. But, hey, most of us ARE not Ansel Adams – the perfectionist – who was born with 100 Million US$ in his cradle. Are we?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 08:13:18 »
A book will be brilliant - I am sure you have so many great images to share
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Rick Waldroup

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 10:59:15 »
Thanks for all of the comments. 

If the book becomes a reality, which there is a strong possibility it will, I will let you guys know.

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 00:29:48 »
This image is so cool, so defiant.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 00:37:31 »
DO IT RICK!!!!!!! Do the book. I promise to buy one.