Author Topic: Urbanization and kites!  (Read 1528 times)

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
Urbanization and kites!
« on: September 08, 2015, 09:00:08 »
Green pastures are being removed to build concrete structures. It made the kites real mad and they kept on hovering over the earth-mover.

Close up of the kites:

C&C - always welcome!
Taken using Nikon 18-200mm at 200mm, hand held.. Not at all sharp, I totally agree.
Anirban Halder

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
Re: Urbanization and kites!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 14:58:21 »
Thanks for posting these Anirban.

Until a few years ago, Kites were a rare sight in the UK apart from a few specific places. So when I visited India I was amazed to see so many. Sadly I didn't take my longer lenses and as a result was treated to a wonderful display of flying by Black Kites whilst going round the Birla Mandir temple in Hyderabad. To add insult to injury, they were very close and at eye level.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 15:56:52 »
Anirban, fun images.  Not sure if they are mad at the guy and his machine or just watching for a easy snack as he disturbs the ground  ;) .  It's like the Egrets, Pond Herons, Lapwings following the people ploughing the fields in preparation for the planting.  The ploughs turn up all sorts of juicy morsels  :)

The most active , fun shooting is when they start burning off the paddy fields.  The Raptors know that all insects, snakes, lizzards and critters will be easy pickings as they try to get away from the fires.  In an hour this past Spring I shot three different types of Harriers(seven birds total), A Booted Eagle, two owlets, and a host of Black and Brahminy Kites feasting .  All in 45 minutes. Had to pick my son up from his Maths Tutor  :( .

It is a shame that more and more habitat is being destroyed to make way for people and commerce but what to do....
Cheers,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 07:32:58 »
Thanks for posting these Anirban.

Until a few years ago, Kites were a rare sight in the UK apart from a few specific places. So when I visited India I was amazed to see so many. Sadly I didn't take my longer lenses and as a result was treated to a wonderful display of flying by Black Kites whilst going round the Birla Mandir temple in Hyderabad. To add insult to injury, they were very close and at eye level.

Thanks Colin. Glad to hear you visited this side of the world.  Yes, in metro cities you get to see plenty of Kites and they are not scared of us humans.
Anirban Halder

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 07:42:45 »
It is a shame that more and more habitat is being destroyed to make way for people and commerce but what to do....
It's shame indeed, Tom. While growing up, I've seen so many birds around which my daughter doesn't get to see anywhere. Would love to see the bird photos you mentioned. Are they shared somewhere?
And thanks, taking picture is always fun!  :)
Anirban Halder