Author Topic: Panasonic G3 IR conversion  (Read 4316 times)

stenrasmussen

Panasonic G3 IR conversion
« on: September 05, 2015, 20:03:04 »
I am in the process of converting my G3 to an infrared instrument by replacing the dust shaker and low pass filter with a filter cut from a B+W 093 IR filter (930nm).
Here's a pic of the disassembled camera + a pic of the donor filter ready to be cut.

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
Re: Panasonic G3 IR conversion
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 20:12:50 »
Good luck with this. It has been a while since you posted IR pictures, or maybe I missed them.
Why a G3? Any advantage regarding the sensor?

stenrasmussen

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 20:29:21 »
Good luck with this. It has been a while since you posted IR pictures, or maybe I missed them.
Why a G3? Any advantage regarding the sensor?

Thanks Olivier!
I have an D200IR camera sitting on the shelf but decided I want a fresh start so a little mod job on the G3 seemed appropriate.
The G3 does well in the IR spectre and with a swivel screen I can get low without getting dirty. A well functioning AF is handy too.
But we'll see if my efforts pays off when/if the camera wakes up after surgery  ;D

stenrasmussen

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 19:50:38 »
Waddayakno...tis up an running!
Process quite easy and the B+W filter cut well under the Dremel disc.
Here's a first technical shot. Yes, this mod enables mostly a monochromatic result but I like it. Next up is the little GF3...with a 720nm in it...or maybe full spectrum mode.

stenrasmussen

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 09:09:47 »
First, Lifepixel.com has a good, but not fully correct, pic tutorial on how to get in to the sensor.
A few pics showing how I deal with the process of getting the flat cables back in place. Although they are flexible they are kind of brittle too so best avoid too much bending.
The glass acting as the dust window/shaker is very thin and likely to break when removed (it did to me). To avoid to many fragments flying around, put a piece of clear tape over it before commencing the knife procedure. When the glass is off, do remove the small flat cable as well.
A tip on cleaning the new filter; Use dishwashing detergent with luke warm water and clean it well. I had some residue from the Scotch tape I covered the glass with while cutting and usually Eclipse fluid suffices in the removal of any remnant glue. But I had some streaks of the stuff that 5-10 tries with Eclipse failed at so out with the filter, down to the kitchen and voila, clean!
On a general note I can say that the G3 is very easy to modify (say compared to a D3xxx/5xxx series).

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 09:43:51 »
Very cool Sten! Thanks for sharing ;)
Erik Lund

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 13:03:20 »
daring.
exciting.
looking forward to more results
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 14:34:20 »
Remarkable job, Sten!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 20:59:13 »
I am not so fond of 'medical - shows' but these are fascinating to watch  ;)