Author Topic: Different versions of the Nikon 80-200mm f/4.5  (Read 33539 times)

Ian R

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Different versions of the Nikon 80-200mm f/4.5
« on: August 28, 2015, 22:40:56 »
This is an amazing lens - the one that probably changed peoples opinions of just how good a zoom lens could be. First introduced in 1969 and made up until the early 1980's it had a good run for a zoom lens. There was a few changes along the way - namely multicoating in 1973 and a revision of the optics at the end of the 70's. I picked up a very early 'C' variant from '73 - C meaning multicoated. It was not selling as it was non-Ai so an offer of £20 secured it. Seeing as the optics were clean and no zoom creep to spoil the fun I gave it a go. Now here is the thing, as zoom lenses go it has a level of performance that is still decent in 2015 - and that is no mean feat.

I have never tried one of the later Ai revision versions with less glass and the rectangular baffle at the rear but they are supposed to be better still. What aspects were improved over the early versions?

I attach two photos I have taken with my lens and I have had them printed - they look good to me. Old zoom lenses are not really a desirable item any more and I can understand why as they have improved in many ways, but even going back to these first attempts I am able to create some pleasing images.

So any input welcome - I have been doing some research but having not tried all the versions I am not able to see the improvements in lens handling or the end photo myself.

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: Different versions of the Nikon 80-200mm f/4.5
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 01:39:42 »
Lovely pictures from a classic lens.

A few comments: my impression is that the earlier 80-200/4.5 models suffer less from zoom creep. The later versions with the modern styling are looser, and the late AI version with the new optics is very loose. I think the new AI version is a bit better optically as you would expect from more modern design - slightly sharper, a little bit less vignetting (more even illumination) and better contrast (fewer glass-air surfaces). Apart from that the versions are all very similar in size, weight and handling. My only regret is that Nikon did not improve the close focus limit with the newer version, which is a little strange since the E 75-150/3.5 and AIS 80-200/4 belong to the same optical "family" (they have similar designs) and they focus much closer. Of the tele zooms in this group, the 75-150 is my favorite since it is faster and more compact. I don't mind the shorter zoom range, 150mm is about as long as I want to hand-hold anyway. The only real problem with these lenses is that they suffer from longitudinal CA.  It would be awesome if Cosina of Zeiss introduced a modern version with better glass and coatings!

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Ian R

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 22:46:32 »
Thank you Roland. I am always very interested in trying the older and less popular Nikkors - they have their own individual character traits and positive aspects like all lenses, but you are right about the CA - I noticed that myself, fortunately it was easily removed in one click via Lightroom.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 23:02:28 »
Very pleasing rendition and humble color, which make the image rather natural.

I used Ai 400/5.6 ED on D610 and thought that an FX 24MP sensor was friendly to the vintage MF Nikkors.  Your images supports my findings.

Keith, as you know, this Zeiss zoom is a specialized cine lens.  On a DSLR, it should offer absolutely stunning images and well absorb the mirror slap thanks to it weight of 2.8kg!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 06:41:14 »
got this from the junkbox  :o :o :o
even with junk inside the lens, i can say that this lens performs just as great as the 80-200 f/4 (http://richardhaw.com/2016/01/30/project-zoom-nikkor-80-200mm-f4-ai-s/) that i have  ::) no wonder this version stayed in production for such a long time  8) to call this lens legendary is an understatement.

going to clean this over the weekend.

bwph

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 00:13:28 »
I have the original version of this lens, and still used it from the time I bought my D600 until a couple of months ago when I got a modern tele zoom.  (I sent it off for the AI upgrade in the '70s.)  Nice and sharp, but less contrast than you get today.  Doesn't focus at all close.  But hard to complain after I got 45 years of use out of it.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 03:10:48 »
the lens that i got from the junk box is just 1 iteration from yours if you got the original one  :o :o :o
i actually find this lens' sharpness to be very acceptable  8)

BillO

• NG Supporter
  • Cruising the US in a Motorhome
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 04:32:07 »
I too have an original version that I used for years on a Nikkormat FTn.  When I later bought a FM2 I had a local shop modify it to AI for that camera.

I find it very satisfactory on a D600 today. It's light and handles well on that size cam body.   Often for hikes in the woods with no specific photo targets in mind  I'll carry that and a 24-70/2.8 with the D600 for a nice lightweight, compact kit.

As Akira noted it reacts well with the 24MP sensor of the D6XX cameras.

As the attached show it has very natural rendition even without any PP corrections and it can even be used on some tamer "wildlife".

Probably the only complaint I have with it today is really more with the screens in the DSLRs which make it difficult to focus well.
Regards,
Bill Oliver

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 04:36:47 »
the contrast on the 80-200 f/4 Ai-S is superior  :o :o :o

but this lens has it's charm  ::)
i am not sure but i find this lens' bokeh to be superior in some ways. no tests done yet. maybe the low contrasts adds to the illusion of having better bokeh

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 10:43:17 »
I sold a 1971 Toyota Hi-Lux pickup to by an 80-200/4.5 Zoom-Nikkor non-AI and a 135mm f/5.6 Componon-S enlarging lens. I don't know which model of 80-200/4.5 it was. I can't remember if it was single or multi coated. I do remember the lens fondly.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 10:46:54 »
I sold a 1971 Toyota Hi-Lux pickup to by an 80-200/4.5 Zoom-Nikkor non-AI and a 135mm f/5.6 Componon-S enlarging lens. I don't know which model of 80-200/4.5 it was. I can't remember if it was single or multi coated. I do remember the lens fondly.

Dave

the 80-200 f/4 Ai-S almost costs the same as the new entry level Toyota sedan when it came out (OK, maybe just a bit cheaper but you get the idea).  :o :o :o
now these things sell for peanuts. i got these for $15-17 each

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 18:40:09 »
I'd like an 80-200/4.5 for old time sake but I'd want the latest AI version rather than the one I had which may have been single coated.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2016, 18:53:43 »

the pre-ai version on Df i was great surprised about the iq

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 00:14:37 »
I'd like an 80-200/4.5 for old time sake but I'd want the latest AI version rather than the one I had which may have been single coated.

Dave

here in japan that is the most commonly seen version in the junk boxes  :o :o :o i skipped one and i regret it