Author Topic: Nikon 300mm f4 VR PF  (Read 5799 times)

PeterN

• NG Member
Nikon 300mm f4 VR PF
« on: August 23, 2015, 14:56:07 »
I was really attracted to the attractive size and weight of the 300mm f4 VR lens (In fact, I was looking for Bjørn's lens database to find some data when I became aware of this site). Obviously I had to take some snaps to become familiar. It's amazing how easy it is to use this lens w/o tripod. I hope I did not break forum rules by including a link to photos rather than upload them.

Opposites:

D750 - 420mm - 1/4000 at f5.6 - ISO 500

Skater:

D750 - 500mm - 1/250 at F8 - ISO 320

Geese:

D750 - 500mm - 1/500 at f8 - ISO 180

Flying to the moon or falling out of the sky? (I had to invent a title after selecting a fast shutter speed)

D750 - 300mm - 1/1600 at f4 - ISO 100

Moon:

D750 - 300mm - 1/1250 at f4 - ISO 100
Peter

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Nikon 300mm f4 VR PF
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 15:04:27 »
Linking to external sites is no problem at all.

I have posted the initial assessment of the 300 PF in the 'Rambings of the Fierce Bear of the North" section (Reviews).

A little warning about using the lens hand held is in place. It is relatively light weight and hence some slightly unsharp images tend to creep in unnoticed. VR might or sometimes might not help much in this regard.

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 15:41:53 »

I have posted the initial assessment of the 300 PF in the 'Rambings of the Fierce Bear of the North" section (Reviews).

A little warning about using the lens hand held is in place. It is relatively light weight and hence some slightly unsharp images tend to creep in unnoticed. VR might or sometimes might not help much in this regard.

Thanks Bjørn! That was the review I was looking for. Now I know where to look for your reviews! I promise I won't purchase again without having looked there.

I will bring the monopod and a small but sturdy tripod on my next trip.

Hopefully I will have some better photos to show next time.
Peter

Marco Lanciani

• NG Member
  • Roma, Italy
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 16:24:59 »
Photo #4 shows a sort of light spot near the moon. Any idea?
It's also visible in photo #5.
Marco Lanciani

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 16:34:27 »
Might be a flare issue. I tested specifically for this problem and found few if any signs of this, but such testing is tricky to conduct and only field use over time will tell whether an issue is present.

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 16:37:10 »
Might be a flare issue. I tested specifically for this problem and found few if any signs of this, but such testing is tricky to conduct and only field use over time will tell whether an issue is present.

Photo #4 shows a sort of light spot near the moon. Any idea?
It's also visible in photo #5.

I noticed it and could not figure it out. My initial guess is a reflection of the light of the sun on the moon (this was shot during day time). It becomes visible when I use the "dehaze" function, not with contrast or anything else. There was no direct light of the sun in the lens.

There is also quite of a bit of vignetting due to f4 use.
Peter

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 18:31:40 »

OffTopic:

Bjørn, sorry. I once wrecked hundreds of posts on another site unintentionally just by rearranging my viewing rights on Flickr.

How did that go?

I thought:

1) to many public pics on Flickr are confusing
2) I made all pictures private
3) I selected 500 public pictures from roughly 5000 uploaded ones
4) Result: I lost all of my favourites, all my pictures were reassigned a newly generated link, all of my posts with flickr pics were desintegrated

Soooo ... I guess if you want to keep the integrity of this site, even if people change providers, which real people sometimes do....  give this policy another thought or two...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 18:53:00 »
The advice to use linking stems from the missing feature of inline attachments in SMF (our forum software). Thus, if you don't use hot links, all the attachments will be tacked together at the end of the text.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 19:27:09 »
This is not elegant I know. But external links tend to change without prior notice. Too bad.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 19:28:18 »
Back to topic. The 300PF seems to be a very nice addition to the Nikkor family

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 19:58:21 »
Yes, it is an interesting lens and in fact, one of the very few new designs I decided to purchase for my own use.