Author Topic: Sony a7xxx with Nikkor Ai/Ais lenses  (Read 2952 times)

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
Sony a7xxx with Nikkor Ai/Ais lenses
« on: August 21, 2015, 14:48:27 »
I am considering buying a Sony a7mkII.  A big step for me since I've never trusted Sony as a company.  I know there are a few people here using the a7 series.  My question is in two parts.  First , does using an adapter change the character of the good Ai/Ais/D lenses?  Second, what adapters are you using?  I would probably go with a native wide (25-35mm range), the 55 1.8 , the Batis 85 1.8 for AF and then use Nikkors and other brands in MF.  I'm thinking the a7mkII since I have little interest in 4K vids or 42MP and it has IBIS.  OK, third  ;) , is the 28-70 kit lens worth the $200.

Early days in my thought process and not sure that I am really gaining anything over the Df /EM1 combo.  If the Nikkors are not a good fit, I'll just kill the idea. 
Cheers,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Sony a7xxx with Nikkor Ai/Ais lenses
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 16:05:49 »
Two independent sources I trust say that the Leica Brand is good on this Cam starting at 50mm upwards.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 19:14:09 »
First , does using an adapter change the character of the good Ai/Ais/D lenses?
Nope, performance is the same as on a Nikon DLSR with 24MP.

Second, what adapters are you using?
A set of Novoflex adapters, one Nikon to Leica M plus Leica M to Sony E and also a Leica M to Sony E Voigtlander helicoid adapter. Because I've split the Nikon to Sony adapter I can use either the dump LEM to E adapter or the one with the focussing helicoid for closer focussing. Also the Novoflex LEM to E adapter has an optional tripod collar. Novoflex also makes an Nikon F to E adapter with a built in aperture ring but that model didn't work for me as it was very hard to mount and remove where the classic ones have a nice black coating with smooth lubrication properties. 

Cheers,
Jan Anne

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 18:07:45 »
Thanks Jan Anne,  interesting, the only Novoflex I can find is the one that works for the Nikon F and G lenses and has that Blue Aperture ring.  Also the thickness(depth) of that one has a couple of remarks about vignetting .  The distributor for Novoflex in India is a friend (Canon shooter  ;) ) so I'll call him tomorrow and email him the link to this thread with your image. Interesting that when I click on the Novoflex on Amazon UK it offers the Leica M to Sony E for a package price :) .

I really do not envision using too many, if any G lenses on a Sony.  The 58 1.4G is one of my favourites but that stays in the Df list and the 55 1.8 would be the 'standard ' AF lens.

I am certainly in no rush  ;D
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 18:53:08 »
Thanks Jan Anne,  interesting, the only Novoflex I can find is the one that works for the Nikon F and G lenses and has that Blue Aperture ring.
Thats the one I didn't like and exchanged for the ones I have now.

It was very difficult to mount on both sides as the the surface on both sides was very rough and apparently with sloppy tolerances, the lens release was also a joke and impossible to use without damaging a nail or two.

Apparently the Nikon F to Leica M adapter I have (and love) is no longer being made:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/220123-REG/Novoflex_LEM_NIK_Lens_Adapter_Nikon_to.html

The Leica M to Sony E adapter is still available however (the image should show how nice these adapters are made and the smooth back coating):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/737896-REG/Novoflex_NEX_LEM_Adapter_for_Leica_M.html

From Voigtlander I have this one as well with the focussing helicoid, its a lot heavier (125 vs 25 gram) though and is only mounted when needed (which is rarely to be honest):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1022002-REG/voigtlander_bd272a_vm_e_close_focus_adapter.html
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 22:19:05 »
I can only add that I have a lot of Novoflex stuff and it is generally extremely well made precise sturdy and expensive
yet worth every Rupee
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/