Author Topic: Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for Nikon F  (Read 11273 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for Nikon F
« on: June 14, 2015, 19:23:17 »
This is not a review. It is too early (in my case) for that, but it is not too early to say a few words and hopefully encourage those of you who also have this lens to share your insights and experience.

I have many lenses and have settled on (for now) the new Zeiss APO series, the Zeiss Otus 55mm APO, the Zeiss Otus 85mm APO, and the earlier Zeiss 135mm f/2 APO Sonnar T*Z5.2, all for the Nikon F-Mount. These are lenses I use when I can, because their output is exceptional in my experience.

However, this leaves the wide-angle end of things wide open, pun intended. Rumor has it that the next Zeiss Otus will be a wide-angle lens, probably the 24mm f/1.4, but no evidence of that so far.

The Nikon wide-angle lenses that I have are not well enough corrected for my taste, and I even have started to get rid of them. I still have the Nikkor 14-24mm Zoom, but I am less enthused about it than I was. Enter the Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for Nikon F.

This Sigma 24mm lens has received high ratings by a number of reviewers, including Lloyd Chambers, so that perked my interest. It also is, at $849, (relatively speaking) inexpensive compared to the competition, so I finally did what I usually do, quite fidgeting over it and just ordered it. I liked that it had a close focus of 9.84” (25 cm), and an almost reasonable focus throw.

I have not had a great deal of time to work it and I still find myself just using Zeiss APOs because I love them, but I managed to squeeze out a little time with the Sigma 24mm ART lens. And the shot posted here was taken in a bit of a hurry for someone who requested it, so I make no claims. Still, the Sigma 24mm does a decent job. It is quite well corrected, sharp enough, and well made. If it lacks anything, it is the superb color the Zeiss APO lenses offer, but I am still chewing on that one.

I have not returned it, which for me says a lot. I believe I will keep it and use it as my wide-angle of choice until Zeiss gets around to producing what I imagine will be a jaw-dropping wide-angle Otus APO.

I am curious what you folks think who have this lens?

This shot taken with the Nikor D810, the Sigma ART 24mm, at f/16 and ISO 64.  The subject is variant of the Solomon's Seal.

Note: Right-Click and select to open image in a new tab for a larger view please.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Re: Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for Nikon F
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 19:37:58 »
Here is a wide-angle snapshot I took of our main river, the Muskegon River. Nikon D810, ISO 64, f/16

Not a great photo, but I wanted to shoot into the sun, etc. Aside from what I don't like about this lens, it does have what I call character, whatever that is to each of us.

Also a image stitched together of our Michigan woodlands this time of year. Same specs as above.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 19:45:23 »
Michael,
thanks for the post

I've been wondering for quite some time what wide angle lens to get

This Sigma is on my list of candidates
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 20:10:43 »
Michael, did you ever try the Zeiss ZF2 25mm/2?  I had one for a couple years, and it is certainly among the better 'corrected' wide angle lenses available.  Way more $$ than the new Sigma, however.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 20:13:27 »
I have not tried the Zeiss ZF2 25mm/2, but this Sigma 24mm ART lenses is good enough for me until the real Otus comes along, and I am kind of fussy. I need to work the Sigma some more.

pat mezzulo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 23:15:45 »
I purchased this lens two weeks ago. My copy had very serious front focus. The adjustment needed in the "focus tune" functions in my cameras (D800 and Df) was beyond 20. I ended up sending the lens back as defective.  After posting my comments on this situation at  DP Review, numerous others posted that they also had this issue. Some of the replies indicated that I should have purchased the Sigma Lens Dock also. Do any of you use the Lens Dock with your 24mm Art?
Patrick Mezzulo

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 00:12:48 »
Michael, did you ever try the Zeiss ZF2 25mm/2?  I had one for a couple years, and it is certainly among the better 'corrected' wide angle lenses available.  Way more $$ than the new Sigma, however.

that is an excellent lens one of Zeiss's best performers and not all that comparably expensive either.
Nikon D800E ,Carl Zeiss ZF2 Distagon T* f/2 25mm
1/320s f/5.6 iso100
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

antonoat

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 00:57:07 »
Bob,
this image has a real crispness to it, great detail and clarity, the compositions not too shabby either!
The colours also look realistic which is something to consider when buying lenses, even if the differences can be subtle.
Tony Oaten

elfkerben

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 10:17:55 »
Thx, for the pics form the Sigma 24mm/1,4 and the Zeiss 25mm/2. I'm also looking for the Sigma, but i never had really luck with there lenses and the output in direct comparison to my Nikon lenses.

@Michael and Bob

How does the Sigma24mm/1,4 and Zeiss 25mm/2 works with Nikon lenses. I mean the picture quality and the look, or do you shoot Sigma/ Zeiss only if you go out or travel?

DaveO

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 21:07:10 »
   I've been looking at the ART lenses on B&H and noticed that the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART is only $ 499.  That's close to $ 400 less than any of the other ART lenses.  Is it somehow different and less expensive to make.  Of course on my DX camera it will be 45mm.  Not really a wide angle lens.
David Olsen

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 12:25:08 »
   I've been looking at the ART lenses on B&H and noticed that the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART is only $ 499.  That's close to $ 400 less than any of the other ART lenses.  Is it somehow different and less expensive to make.  Of course on my DX camera it will be 45mm.  Not really a wide angle lens.

The price differential is almost certain to be the fact that the 30/1.4 is a DC lens .. ie. APS-C only!
Arthur

Matti Remonen

• NG Member
  • ad undas
    • remonen.fi
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 10:54:53 »
Sorry to steal this thread but anyone considered Carl Zeiss Distagon 2.8/21 ZF.2 as an option for WA? I currently have Sigma Art 35/1.4 and I'm quite happy with it but since I also own 24-70G, I'm lookin for somenthing wider than just 24-mil. Sold my 14-24 last fall and I'm starting to regret it...

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 01:58:58 »
Sorry to steal this thread but anyone considered Carl Zeiss Distagon 2.8/21 ZF.2 as an option for WA? I currently have Sigma Art 35/1.4 and I'm quite happy with it but since I also own 24-70G, I'm lookin for somenthing wider than just 24-mil. Sold my 14-24 last fall and I'm starting to regret it...
My Zeiss 21 has about the same excellent distribution of detail sharpness across the field as my 14-24.  The color is the expected strongly warm/Zeiss look, with wave-type distortion.  It might not match very closely to the 24-70, or the Sigma, if that matters.  If you've already got a 24mm that you like, maybe think about an 18mm as a jump wider than 24?
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 19:14:46 »
Just purchased one. It also displayed front focus (+14 correction). Otherwise excellent first impressions (distortion, flatness of field, sharpness, CA, LoCA, no focus shift) or passable (vignetting, color balance). Sharper than the Samyang 24/1.4, which however has better MF (it is no AF lens) and less coma, so they say.

Resistance to flare looks OK.

Let us see how it performs at night.
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 22:24:57 »
Wide open :

Now stopping down to f/4 :

Then both at f/8.0 :

Airy Magnien