Author Topic: geolocation NXstudio  (Read 529 times)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
geolocation NXstudio
« on: August 25, 2024, 20:04:21 »
I´m used to find my images in the map with lightroom but I'm no longer subscribed. I´m not doing paid work enough to justify the cost.
So, NX studio it is for me now and I can´t find a map anywhere. The videos online explaining how-to are from an older version of the program. Am I missing something?

Thank you in advance

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: geolocation NXstudio
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2024, 21:18:37 »
Apparently, Nikon removed the geoview feature .... Probably because Microsoft terminated Internet Explorer and Nikon used some kind of IE-related software (ActiveX?).

Free-standing geosetting/viewing programs exist. However, not sure how they suit your work flow.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2024, 01:59:48 »
Thank you Birna.

Do you have any recommendation for geosetaging/viewing program?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2024, 10:36:57 »
Must be plenty of those, but maybe the combination of Mac and RAW files is less commonly covered? Not using Mac myself, so wouldn't know.

As I recall you're using a Transystem GPS logger and there is a dedicated program, GPS Photo Tagger, for it which can show not only GPS track logs, but also photos on a map and likely allows writing GPS info into photos. It accompanies the Transystem itself so you ought to have it already. It might need jpgs however, so if you only shoot NEFs no luck unless you alter your routine to include RAW + jpg. Don't know whether it runs under Mac, though.

I don't understand why Nikon had to abandon the use of map view in NX Studio, as there are lots of APIs that can link GPS data [from photos] to map views and don't depend on IE. They aren't locked in to Google Maps either as there are open-source maps and APIs out there in the plenty.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2024, 14:19:21 »
Must be plenty of those, but maybe the combination of Mac and RAW files is less commonly covered? Not using Mac myself, so wouldn't know.

As I recall you're using a Transystem GPS logger and there is a dedicated program, GPS Photo Tagger, for it which can show not only GPS track logs, but also photos on a map and likely allows writing GPS info into photos. It accompanies the Transystem itself so you ought to have it already. It might need jpgs however, so if you only shoot NEFs no luck unless you alter your routine to include RAW + jpg. Don't know whether it runs under Mac, though.

I don't understand why Nikon had to abandon the use of map view in NX Studio, as there are lots of APIs that can link GPS data [from photos] to map views and don't depend on IE. They aren't locked in to Google Maps either as there are open-source maps and APIs out there in the plenty.

As far as I know the dedicated program for my gps is windows only. I had that problem at the beginnig but because lightroom covered my needs I didn´t look any further into it.

Jürgen Pfeiffer

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear'23
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2024, 15:31:16 »
Hello Paco,
since you are on a mac you might take a look at "NeoFinder", it is a cataloging and digital asset app that can handle GPS data. It shows the map position of one or several photos on an integrated map, can add or change GPS metadata and much much more.
It has a 30day evaluation tryout.

Best regards
Jürgen
Jürgen Pfeiffer

Ian Watson

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2024, 17:01:59 »
For what it is worth, I tried to cataloguing features and liked Neofinder. The price is reasonable too. I do not use it because I am happy with Adobe's Photography Plan.

https://cdfinder.de

Here is the user guide. There is a section devoted to GPS data and mapping.

https://www.cdfinder.de/guide/

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2024, 23:29:26 »
Thank you very much. Looks like a viable option.