Author Topic: Full frame companion to Zfc  (Read 1034 times)

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Full frame companion to Zfc
« on: July 25, 2024, 08:22:28 »
Hello all,

I have been using the Zfc for more than a year already and it has been wonderful. I use the Zfc with the 16-50 & 50-250 kit plus Viltrox (13mm , 23mm & 56mm) and a handful of vintage manual focus lens. Now I have been thinking of getting a full frame  Nikon Z5 or Z6i due to a limited budget. I also plan to supplement the vintage lens I have with a Viltrox 20mm f2.8 and maybe the 40mm f2.5.

Your thoughts is much appreciated.

Bern
Keep shooting,
Bern

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
Re: Full frame companion to Zfc
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2024, 08:31:31 »
If you don't shoot fast action or bif both should be fine. I'm still happy with my Z6.

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2024, 09:03:03 »
If you don't shoot fast action or bif both should be fine. I'm still happy with my Z6.

Have you updated to the latest available firmware? Any improvements with it?
Keep shooting,
Bern

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2024, 10:56:17 »
I have done that. I don't shoot fast moving objects enough to judge this fairly.

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2024, 21:23:21 »
I’ve got Z8 and very satisfied with the move for BIF and fast moving objects, but If you ask me what to use for a walk with manual fast aperture lenses I would say a Z6 :)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2024, 21:31:34 »
Have you updated to the latest available firmware? Any improvements with it?
For me the Firmware Updates to my Z6 brought a lot of improvement in the AF domain, especially for moving Objects in the 3D-tracking-AF-C setting using my Z 1.2/50 S which is not easily focussed fast  by hand.

Yes, the Zf is still better, but the Zf ist not my "fast AF camera", the Zf is my "low light slow photography camera". And the Zf-Body does not balance well with the Z 1.2/50 S!

I guess I wil still buy a Z9 when the prices drop. There is not necessity to do so now.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Gerhard2006

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2024, 20:31:38 »
I also just bought the Black Nikon Zfc and I use it in combination with the Z5 which is more than enough camera for me. I don’t shoot fast action, and I use a lot of manual focus lenses, which worked great on the Z5. I picked up the 40 mm F2 which also works great as a long normal lens on the Zfc. If you need more video options, Z6 is probably a better buy. However, I find the video from either the Zfc or the Z5 to be more than enough for my needs. I also like that the PSAM dial on the Z5 is close to your right hand as opposed to being on the left with a Z6. I don’t really need the screen there because, I can see most of my settings from the top of the camera or the back screen. Regards Gerry

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2024, 20:44:59 »
I still use regularly the Z6 mkI. It is a wonderful tool with very "elastic" files. Perfect with ibis for manual lenses and magnification for critical focus. Can´t go wrong with it.

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2024, 03:39:06 »
I was leaning towards buying a new Z5 but a friend offered to sell his Z6 with 13k shutter count. The Z6 came with a 64gb XQD plus 2 spare en-el15c batteries. It sounded a good offer so I took it instead of a new Z5.

First impressions is that it handles better than the Zfc with grip but its not too heavy to hold. Now, i may need to fill in the full frame native Z mount lenses....but that will be for another day.

I will use most of my manual focus Nikkors for this one for now.

Keep shooting,
Bern

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2024, 00:45:57 »
Now that you've got your Z6, I expect that you want to protect that beauty from bumps and scrapes to keep it looking new.

Most put on a screen protector over their LCD screen on the back of their camera.  But beyond that, you also might want to consider installing a silicon protective skin on the outside of your Z6.  I put a silicone protective skin over both my Z6 and my Z7 cameras, and they've done a good job of protecting these cameras.  I like the way it looks (both of mine are yellow).  Not only that, but I think it improves the grip's size and feel.

You might think it would be difficult to operate the controls that are under these skins; however, I have not had any problem with that.

These skins are cheap (   https://www.ebay.com/itm/255520782760?_nkw=nikon+z6+silicone&itmmeta=01J6JQ24M8H88MH15Z4KK0WSJQ&hash=item3b7e39b9a8:g:xQkAAOSwTYRicpA~&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA0HoV3kP08IDx%2BKZ9MfhVJKlsxh11Mkbz1BkxSDyq5fbSvwkN3g5SFhbRw59LXo%2Bk3gKQuS32DFo9N0Al52neFXDidNhDrVFpRquN49ozg%2Fu3IXeZeTksIR80RPfPqnqllqkCl%2F3v%2F85McCk3gLWJAKbldy50eV7bmOpXmqjHoZnrt28HE79T4v%2BknBvAWFt4sk%2BhpkaGVNjHklS%2BWMet0l1f%2BOMzbWf6giO4QRki2wrqoqXgN%2FSJ2w3Bjk4XHmQlUbpbRrONiFgVBogeQBqaTls%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5rKiNe0ZA   ) and they fit Z6 and Z7 cameras like a glove. 

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2024, 11:26:25 »
I still use regularly the Z6 mkI. It is a wonderful tool with very "elastic" files. Perfect with ibis for manual lenses and magnification for critical focus. Can´t go wrong with it.
Yes it is a reliable camera.  Use the camera also a lot with off-camera flashes were you can set the Usermode directly to the flash-settings.

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2024, 18:04:21 »
... you also might want to consider installing a silicon protective skin on the outside of your Z6.

Gosh, i didnt know they still made these Bruce!
I remember a friend getting one for his D70 over a decade ago.

I'm guessing ones this colour would have been useful for Birna back in the day ;)