Author Topic: The first Z-mount f1.4 lens is an affordable version  (Read 1396 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: The first Z-mount f1.4 lens is an affordable version
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2024, 07:58:55 »
That shows in the accompanying press kit photos :( snd the MTF plot isn't great either.

If this is Nikon's vision of 'great bokeh', I'll select something else.

On the plus side, price is quite affordable as FX Z Nikkors go.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Øivind Tøien

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2024, 11:53:24 »
So there is still hope that there will be a S-line 35/1,2 later-which was expected according to the roadmap, evidently was delayed and there are rumors about a problem with a lens element.
Wolfgang Rehm

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2024, 13:31:37 »
So there is still hope that there will be a S-line 35/1,2 later-which was expected according to the roadmap, evidently was delayed and there are rumors about a problem with a lens element.

I'm sure there will be fast wide angle primes with the S-line designation eventually, such as the 35/1.2 we expected from the roadmap silhouette.

The Z 35/1.8 S is one of my favourite lenses and one I use among the most in the lineup (the 24-70/2.8 is another I really like). If I were to purchase f/1.2 lenses, the way I shoot I would really need a 28mm or 35 mm to pair with the 85/1.2. However, this is not in my plans in the near future as these are very expensive lenses.

A 35/1.4 that is lightweight and priced fairly for the consumer seems like a brilliant idea from Nikon, even if it is optically just good and not otherworldly. ;-)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2024, 14:38:48 »
To me, the rather "humble" size of this 35/1.4 is admirable.

I wonder where the merit of the "compact size" of the lenses for the mirrorless cameras has been gone...  The lenses for the mirrorless cameras have been larger and larger, and the bodies have started to be larger...

I've loved the compactness of the SIGMA fp and 45/2.8 combo and have just switched to Sony A7IV and 50/2.5 combo.  I'm glad that the size and weight hasn't increased that much after the move.  :)

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2024, 21:45:21 »
The merit of compact mirrorless cameras and lenses has its origin in the start of this technical (r)evolution. The microfourthirds cameras of Panasonic and Olympus were and are truly compact. The size increased with the introduction of aps-c and full frame mirrorless. I agree with you especially full frame cameras and lenses have grown gradually bigger. One of the reasons I have bought a compact Ricoh GRIII.

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2024, 22:53:09 »
I  don’t mind if it’s not an S lens
I like that’s an  f1.4 and relative affordable
It’s a Nikon and not a 3rd party, no FTZ adapter, if the review's are OK, I am in  :)

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2024, 23:40:03 »
This is an unexpected announcement. Compared to the S-line 35/1.8 is has a similar size and shape, which makes it compact for a lens with this specification (the old AI 35/1.4 is even smaller). On the other hand, it has a faster aperture and is much bigger than other non-S primes such as the DX 24/1.7, 26/2.8, 28/2.8 and 40/2 so it doesn't really fit this group. Is this the start of a new line of fast, relatively cheap primes? I expect most photographers who want a compact wide-ish lens would be more attracted to the 40/2.

I think that Nikon should expand the range of affordable compact non-S primes with something like a 20/3.5, 60/2, and 100/2.8. These could be very attractive and nicely complement the existing lineup.

The new lens has a control ring which the S-line f/1.8 primes all lack (that was a curious omission on these otherwise high-spec lenses, maybe Nikon will upgrade them? ).

I have no doubt that more fast S-line primes are in the works, such as the 35/1.2 which was on the road map for a long time, and maybe something like a 24/1.4 and some fast primes wider than 20mm which are currently missing from their lens lineup.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2024, 22:31:01 »
It is indeed unexpected and maybe an emergency solution to compensate the delayed 35/1,2 with something faster but no S-line. It is definitely not one of the pancake series, maybe Nikon will fulfil the wish of a series of non S-line smaller primes that are not pancakes.

There is still a lot missing in the Z-lens lineup, something we will see sooner or later, wide primes up to a fast 14 mm for night sky photagraphy, fisheye lenses, a series of PC-lenses, and there are still only 2 Macro lenses available where only the 105 mm is S-line, don't know whether we will ever see anything longer but something like a 60mm Micro Nikkor S-line can be expected sooner or later, maybe also a faster standard-zoom.
Wolfgang Rehm

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2024, 09:07:53 »
To me, the rather "humble" size of this 35/1.4 is admirable.

I wonder where the merit of the "compact size" of the lenses for the mirrorless cameras has been gone...  The lenses for the mirrorless cameras have been larger and larger, and the bodies have started to be larger...

I've loved the compactness of the SIGMA fp and 45/2.8 combo and have just switched to Sony A7IV and 50/2.5 combo.  I'm glad that the size and weight hasn't increased that much after the move.  :)

What made you move from the fp? I have always quietly lusted over it, though I realize it is quirky, and has some limitations.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2024, 11:47:07 »
What made you move from the fp? I have always quietly lusted over it, though I realize it is quirky, and has some limitations.

There are several reasons: limited lens selections I would want to use, doubt in the future of L-Mount alliance, revived interest in shooting moving subject and skittish creatures, increasing need to avoiding flicker by lowering shutter speed without camera blur, a bit more pixels in APS-C mode, etc.

F2F3F6

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2024, 18:36:55 »
Nikon goes strange ways in their Z line: S-line lenses are high grade, high level but very big and often heavy...Mirrorless cameras and lenses should have been be more compact than DSLR systems (?)

Compact  Z lenses (non S-line) are more attractive but often "plasticky" (2,8/28, 2,0/40 and all the DX lenses...). 2,8/50 Micro and 2,8/26 a bit better...(?)

This new 1,4/35 seems between the other two lines...not so heavy, nor so long and at an attractive price level. It could be a good choice for Nikon !

Nikon knows how to make very good lenses and compact lenses, now how to make both together ?

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2024, 21:09:19 »
The "missing mirror" probably makes it possible to design near perfect lenses. The S-line are those kind. They could have made a slower version S-line lenses to make a "compact S-line".
A 50/2.8 S-line could probably be quite compact?
Or maybe a fixed aperture 50/5.6 S-line?
In the old days one argument for at fast lens was a bright viewfinder and easier manuel focus.
For mirrorless the only argument is probably the need to take images at full aperture.

For me I have until now not have had any mechanical problems with the "cheap" Z-lenses. I have the 50/1.8 S but often use the 40/2 or 16-50 because they are more compact and image quality "good enough".

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2024, 21:08:03 »
Another Austrian Terminator in California