Author Topic: AFS Nikkor 105/2.8 VR CA issue  (Read 1780 times)

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
Re: AFS Nikkor 105/2.8 VR CA issue
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2024, 20:59:01 »
I've done thousands of pictures, mostly insects, with this lens and was never bothered by CA but I'm indeed almost always around f6.3 or f8, at least, to get some depth of field. AF is quite handy to get a fast focus that I refine manually when needed. Optically, the old Apo Lanthar is much better, but I can only use it with quiet subjects.
All in all, I find the AFS 105/2.8 a good workhorse, not brilliant but reliably good for outside macro of insects.
Bruno Schröder

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2024, 22:21:26 »
I have tried to "hunt" outdoor insects with this lens. It requires concentration and a lot of exposures.
The lens feels like good mechanical quality. Cold to the touch so I guess more metal than most newer lenses.
For pure close-up optical quality the AFS 105 is probably the worst of the 105 Nikkors.

To give the AIS 105/4 a chance to show what he can do stopped down a bit I attached the two usual 100% crops with lens set to f/8 with PN11 adapter to get to 1:1 and I used closets focus distance the lens can do.
Still a bit CA but I think an acceptable level and a nice lens. 

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2024, 09:08:17 »
... To give the AIS 105/4 a chance to show what he can do stopped down a bit I attached the two usual 100% crops with lens set to f/8 with PN11 adapter to get to 1:1 and I used closets focus distance the lens can do.
Still a bit CA but I think an acceptable level and a nice lens. 

That means you shot at f/16, which will lead to softening due to diffraction. Better quality can be had by focus stacking, however not every subject or occasion will allow this approach.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2024, 11:55:59 »
I often try to break the law of nature. Sometimes I feel I am quite successful!

I just tried out the pictured lens / extender combination with lens set close to infinity and aperture to f/5.6.
The result attached with the usual front and back focus to check CA. Not much CA to talk about and quite sharp also (was difficult to hand held)?
Nice long working distance and less CA than with AFS 105/2.8.......but setup not very practical in the field.

Lens itself inside its intended way to work must be quite good.