Author Topic: Question about ultra-wides  (Read 322 times)

Darkslide

• NG Supporter
  • Be patient - I'm new!
    • Ian Grandjean Photography
Question about ultra-wides
« on: April 25, 2024, 18:21:32 »
I'm a fan of ultra-wide angles lenses, and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience of/with the cheaper (Viltrox, 7Artisans etc.) offerings - 12, 14mm AF or not, but full frame certainly?

I own an IRIX 11mm which is very good (IMHO) but as I have 'migrated' to Z bodies, I have to use an FTZ and the setup starts getting very bulky, so I'm looking for something smaller.

Please note I said wide-angles, not fisheye.

Be obliged for your comments please.
Ian Grandjean

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Question about ultra-wides
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2024, 21:12:40 »
Laowa has plenty of the ultra-wide lenses to offer for native Z-format. However, they are purely manual and lack CPU-contacts. Z9 can provide a non-CPU entry with the exact specifications, for the other Z cameras, you have to use the nearest alternative in the preset no-CPU settings. Just a minor inconvenience and not a fault of the lenses, rather the mindset of Nikon being confined to whatever focal lengths they produced over the years.

I'm using the Laowa 11mm f/4.5 extensively for IR for which it is really good. The even wider 9mm f/5.6 is also good for this kind of shooting, but you have to use gel filters on its rear.  Visible light work won't need filters and both lenses deliver crisp and contrasty images with low CA issues. Both lenses  are for FX format and are quite small, yet surprisingly heavy due to their all-metal build, The 9mm provides a stupendous 135 degrees view and for most applications this might be too wide in fact. Thus I like also to use it on my Z fc (DX format).

As the Laowa lenses also focus pretty close, you can satisfy yourself with the observation that depth-of-field is not infinite even with 9mm optics when they operate in the near range.

Viltrox makes very good lenses, but if memory serves their widest for FX is 20mm? They launch new lenses all the time so likely a wider alternative wil come to the market if it doesn't already exist. Viltrox has AF and full CPU facitilities for their Z lenses. I have many Viltrox optics most of which are for my Z fc. The tiny 20/2.8 is FX and a remarkable buy for its combination of quality and low price.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2024, 21:25:11 »
A few examples, mainly the 11mm f/4.5 LAOWA.

Darkslide

• NG Supporter
  • Be patient - I'm new!
    • Ian Grandjean Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2024, 04:29:53 »
Many thanks for the reply Birna - these are the sort of focal lengths that I like...

I'll check to see what is available here in France (or should I more accurately say, what is available in my price range, here in France!)

Ian
Ian Grandjean

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2024, 08:13:57 »
The Laowa lenses are not very expensive. However, they are far from the cheapest either. I think I paid the equivalent of 500 Euro for the 11mm and 700 Euro for the 9mm. That's Norwegian price with VAT and full 2yr warranty.