Author Topic: Memory Card Capacity  (Read 429 times)

Darkslide

• NG Supporter
  • Be patient - I'm new!
    • Ian Grandjean Photography
Memory Card Capacity
« on: March 21, 2024, 15:47:38 »
I'm new here - please take this into account with regard to my question  ;)

I recently posted this on a well known 'rumors' forum, but foolishly forgot that a large part of the forum members can't spell 'photography' let alone own cameras (I had no response)...so I thought I'd try here

Context - off to visit Scotland in the fall - will be there a couple of weeks, and travelling light - Z6ll and a couple of lenses. I'm taking material to dump the cards / backup on the run, but I'm interested to know just how many images I can REALLY get on a 512Gb card.

I shoot RAW 14 bit lossless and according to personal experience, my files average 33Mb (I fully realise that RAW image size varies in terms of content, exposure etc.)

My math is probably severley wonky, but 512 x 1024 = 524288Mb

Divided by 33Mb = 15887 files

Is this reasonable? If so, I will be able to run a backup (protection) from time to time but continue shooting for a few days lol....

Many thanks in advance for your input
Ian Grandjean

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
Re: Memory Card Capacity
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 17:03:43 »
Firstly: a warm Welcome to NG!

It will depend very much on how and what you shoot but on a wildlife shoot I might expect to shoot 600 images in a day but for Scottish landscapes I would expect perhaps half that number.

I suggest that you take two 512 cards and when one gets filled I would use the second.
Back-up the first card and wipe it when the second card is close to getting filled.

Enjoy Scotland!

Darkslide

• NG Supporter
  • Be patient - I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 17:36:12 »
Hi there

Many thanks for the welcome, and the advice.

I have 'invented' a system to backup my images when travelling (involving a card reader, old telephone and an NVMe drive - works very well.)

However, being particularly anal about this whole sequence, I would very much like to A: backup and B: leave all the original files on the card/s. In this way I have more copies.

Somehow 600 images on a 512Gb card seems VERY low, and even with my weird maths, I'd get more !!

Anyway, perhaps one of the 'teccies' out there might be able to put me on track!!

Again, many thanks for your reply.

Best regards from France

Ian
Ian Grandjean

Darkslide

• NG Supporter
  • Be patient - I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 17:49:21 »
PS If I were rich and/or American (who wouldn't have to pay high European taxes on things) I wouldn't hesitate to buy more 512/1Tb cards.... ;D
Ian Grandjean

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 18:30:02 »
In my Z8 it displays a number of 1.5k images on a 128GB card, so I guess you would get approximately 4 times that.
On my Z6 I get the same number on a 64GB card.

Darkslide

• NG Supporter
  • Be patient - I'm new!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2024, 18:52:27 »
Hello and thanks for your input.

It would seem perfectly reasonable to get more files on your Z6 given that the sensor is smaller...(less dense)

This is certainly indicating that we're all going in the right direction in terms of capacity.  I'm reassured as I new usually take huge amounts of personal stuff - concerts etc. are a different matter and I can come home after an evening with a thousand images on a card without a problem !

Thanks again.
Ian Grandjean

Ian Watson

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024, 21:00:54 »
Welcome to NikonGear!

Your maths looks fine. Have fun in Scotland and do share some of your photographs.

Darkslide

• NG Supporter
  • Be patient - I'm new!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2024, 22:06:21 »
Your maths looks fine.

Really? Blimey - I'm shocked!!

I have to admit whilst not one for shooting in long salvos, I do anticipate making a few images - it's not every day I get to visit the Highlands, after all.

Is the 'Gallery' part of this forum the place to show off, sorry, post ones 'work'? And if so, how d'ya get a photo in it?

Many thanks

Ian
Ian Grandjean

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2024, 22:11:29 »
You have to be an NG supporter to use the Gallery option.

However, I personlly find the better approach is to consider what one posts quite carefully. Just 'dumping' everything to any web site is bad practice and not the way to evolve as a better photographer. Be selective, not for us, but for yourself.

I use 32GB and the occasional 64GB card and put one in each camera before starting a trip. Never filled these cards to capacity even on a two or three weeks journey. Our shooting habits vary.

Darkslide

• NG Supporter
  • Be patient - I'm new!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2024, 22:25:23 »
Hello

Yes, I couldn't agree more - which is why I have a web site and use FLICKR

I'm not about to inundate the forum with my images (promise) but I will upload an image or two for discussion in the appropriate place.

Despite my card capacity questions, I'm not a fan of large cards as I consider the risks of loosing the whole lot with a simple camera or handling error - however the thought of being able to have a comparatively large collection 'in camera' appeals for the short period of a holiday.

Thank you for your input.

Ian

Ian Grandjean

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2024, 23:59:58 »
Rather than doing calculations I suggest you buy another card or two. Much less stressful. And if some magic moments occur you will not need to think about card capacity.
Anthony Macaulay

Darkslide

• NG Supporter
  • Be patient - I'm new!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2024, 05:39:04 »
Hello and thank you

You're right of course - however I'm trying to do the 'thinking' before I go to let me get down to the nitty gritty without having to worry about missing/losing shots etc.

Ian
Ian Grandjean

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2024, 08:38:34 »
I have a Z6 with 64gb cards and shooting 14bit loosless raw. it predicts 1.2k shoots when empty but it can usually do north of 1400 at least.
I'll say the camera is conservative with predictions and it is giving the "at least" number of shots remaining.
That will make 2800 for 128gb; 5600/256gb; 11200/512gb? And I'll consider this on the safe side. No so far off your own calculations.

Darkslide

• NG Supporter
  • Be patient - I'm new!
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2024, 08:48:01 »
Hola!

Thanks for that - it's ballpark but that's all I need - I very much doubt I'm ever going to fill a 512Gb card, but it's nice to have an idea of just what I can put on there!

I'll know more when I get back!!

(I'm shooting a concert tonight - and I'm fairly sure I will be making a lot of images! I'll see just what I can store on the card)

All the best from France

Ian
Ian Grandjean

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2024, 10:18:27 »
Filling up cards to the maximum is not advisable, just like on a drive on a PC; Everything slows down,,,
Also an old advise is not to delete images in camera to avoid risk of corrupting files,,,
Always bring an extra card,,,

Enjoy your trip and don't worry too much  8)
Erik Lund