Author Topic: No Gold, no Silk!  (Read 3222 times)

Eric Borgström

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Eric´s pictures
No Gold, no Silk!
« on: August 13, 2015, 08:06:10 »
For years I have been using Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk for my prints. Now with the Swiss Ilford branch in recievership the supplies seems to have dried up.
Does anybody know were to get the desired paper?
Or, if this is no more produced which other paper could take its place? A warm, rather heavy Baryta.
/Eric

afx

• NG Member
  • Grumpy Bavarian from Munich
    • AFXImages
Re: No Gold, no Silk!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 08:53:24 »
The Canson Baryta seems to be close from what I read. As I only have used the Canson but not the Ilford, I can't really verify how close they are.

cheers
afx

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 19:32:07 »
I've never used the Ilford product, mainly because the word "silk", in reference to photo prints, brings back memories of ghastly textured color papers from the 1970's.
The Canson Baryta Photographique, and the Arista II Baryta Photo are said to be extremely similar to the Ilford GFS, and may be the exact same product.  I have recently used the Canson and the Arista, and can confirm that they appear to be the same.
Personally, I preferred the surface, and the more neutral color, of the Harman By Hahnemüle Gloss Baryta, but the H by H product seems to be perpetually plagued with severe curvature problems, which, as you know, are annoying when dealing with inkjet printers.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Eric Borgström

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Eric´s pictures
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 09:11:45 »
Andreas and Keith, thank you for your suggestions. Now I know were to start my search for "new" print media.
The surface of GFS is/was :(  very smooth therefore the Silk moniker i guess. /Eric

Rick Popham

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 16:32:42 »
I'm not sure where you're located, but here in the US the Ilford products are now available again.  I see them listed at places like Atlex and Shades of Paper. 

If the Ilford isn't available to you yet, try the Canson mentioned above.  I used a lot of the Gold Fibre Silk and stocked up when I heard of the bankruptcy, but ran out of 17 x 22.  I bought some Canson to replace it and found the Canson Baryta Photographique to be virtually identical. If you liked the GFS you'll probably be happy with the CBP.
Rick Popham

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 20:19:04 »
Amazon Germany still has them available.
Bruno Schröder

Eric Borgström

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Eric´s pictures
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 16:06:56 »
Amazon Germany still has them available.
I try there. Thank you!
/Eric