Author Topic: L-Bracket for the Hasselblad X2D  (Read 256 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
L-Bracket for the Hasselblad X2D
« on: February 28, 2024, 18:59:14 »
I use an L-Bracket all the time, switching from horizontal to vertical and back, so I need a good one. And because I focus stack a lot, I need a strong and steady one in the vertical position.

I’ve looked into what l-brackets are out there and here is what I find for those interested.

Really Right Stuff Modular L-Plate Set for Hasselblad X2D Weights 5.2 oz. $255 for the Modular Set for the X2D.

By far the best l-bracket for the Hasselblad X2D is the one from RSS (Really Right Stuff). I have read complaints that it is too tight for the battery ejection. I bought one and it fits perfectly and is just right. Of course, you have to tighten it on the X2D carefully, positioning the l-bracket to the battery hole. And also very important, the vertical component that slides in and out is extra strong and does not move or dampen in any way. Perfect                       

Photo Clam L-Plate for Hasselblad X2D $250 Weights 4.3 oz.

I bought and returned the Photo Clam L-Plate Bracket because it is not good, at least for my work, and there are two main reasons I sent it back.

Number one, the left vertical bracket makes it very difficult to pop open the CFExpress door. And number two (and unforgivable), the left vertical bracket is not firm when in vertical mode. It bends and is weak ever so slightly and can affect images when focus stacking because it gives a little. Very disappointing.

PEIPRO L-Plate Bracket Alloy Quick Released Hand grip for Hasselblad X2D Camera  4.196 oz $129 TO $149 on Ebay.

I have not tried this, but it looks pretty good, although that vertical component (at least from the photos) looks weaker than the RSS. It’s a lot less expensive too, although the right l-bracket is key IMO.

Arca-Swiss L-Bracket 802306 $229.00 9.6 oz.

The Arca-Swiss L-Bracket is a universal l-bracket and does not extend over the battery area, but can be tight left to the camera or be extended.

The left vertical upright consists of two vertical tubular rods with a small moveable Arca-Swiss release plate that can be removed by a lever. If I did not have the RSS, I would probably have this, although moving and removing the sliding Arca-Swiss clamp would be a hassle. Still, it looks like a good design.

That’s what I know. May it help those who are facing the same problem.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com