Author Topic: almost brand new...  (Read 953 times)

bressong

• NG Member
  • a nikon user
almost brand new...
« on: February 21, 2024, 16:13:52 »
got this baby with the case.
surperised what a new lens made in year 197x.

bought in 2nd hand market at 60 USD.

unfortunately it is original AUTO mount, which I don't have a camera can use it ;(

bressong

• NG Member
  • a nikon user
Re: almost brand new...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024, 16:45:26 »
I like it's pure origin meanwhile sad that not fit my D850/D800 body

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 17:22:06 »
It will fit a Df and Z cameras with adapter! Best!

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 19:58:15 »
In fact, it will mount directly on the Df -- no adapter. You just have to flip the aperture tab of the Df to the side so it won't interfere with the aperture ring on the lens. Metering is possible if you tell the camera this is pre-AI lens.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 22:03:14 »
A beautiful lens, with the early multicoating. I have one just like it :)
I also have the K version (same optics) which has been AI modified, so it will fit any Nikon camera. It produces good images.
I believe the unmodified lens will also fit Z cameras via the FTZ adapter - it would be at home on the Zf camera.

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2024, 01:43:37 »
Or you could find a low end DX camera like a D3200.  A decent image with a 36 mm. field of view, meter by eye or histogram, no adapter needed. Any non-AI digital newer than D3100, whose minimum aperture button moves down instead of sideways will take a pre-AI lens with no modification.

bressong

• NG Member
  • a nikon user
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2024, 03:26:29 »
the zf is in my radar,but I worried it's weight. Not big change to my d850 and d800.
In fact I am fully satisfied with d850 on performance and resolute.even the d800. Except the body weight.
I expected nikon or someone else launch a small-light-vintage looking full frame camera body

bressong

• NG Member
  • a nikon user
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2024, 03:47:59 »
Or you could find a low end DX camera like a D3200.  A decent image with a 36 mm. field of view, meter by eye or histogram, no adapter needed. Any non-AI digital newer than D3100, whose minimum aperture button moves down instead of sideways will take a pre-AI lens with no modification.

this remind me I still had one d70s in drying cabinet ;D

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2024, 06:19:08 »
The D70 has a minimum aperture switch (the little one at about 9:00 as you face the camera) that moves sideways, so an unconverted lens will hit that and probably cause damage.  Nikon changed to a switch that is pressed down instead, starting, it seems, with the D40 and all subsequent DX models without AI metering, and an unmodified lens just pushes it down without harm.

bressong

• NG Member
  • a nikon user
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2024, 07:16:36 »
The D70 has a minimum aperture switch (the little one at about 9:00 as you face the camera) that moves sideways, so an unconverted lens will hit that and probably cause damage.  Nikon changed to a switch that is pressed down instead, starting, it seems, with the D40 and all subsequent DX models without AI metering, and an unmodified lens just pushes it down without harm.

sad to me ::)

so still need to wait test its real optical performance,I had the AI24/2.8. From the nikon 1001night article it says the ai optical design is better.

I am not sure if the optical performance vary a lot.

One thing I am ensure that auto version lens had good built quality as ai version.maybe better ;D

From my view ais is a Little worse on built quality

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2024, 09:35:16 »
Nikon did change the optics of their 24/2.8 lenses over time. Coatings were changed as well. The first version went to f/16, later to f/22. I always preferred the earlier versions, pre-AI to AI.

bressong

• NG Member
  • a nikon user
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2024, 14:14:08 »
auto lens really had good built quality

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2024, 15:39:17 »
That lens is in wonderful shape as far as I can tell.  It's almost worth it to buy a Dƒ just to use it.

The 24/2.8 was one of the first lenses I bought when I got serious about photography.  I loved it to death.  Literally.  Used it up with many years of photos and abuse.  Today I have replaced it and added AI and AI-S copies as well.  It's just a great focal length.
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/

bressong

• NG Member
  • a nikon user
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2024, 15:46:16 »
That lens is in wonderful shape as far as I can tell.  It's almost worth it to buy a Dƒ just to use it.

The 24/2.8 was one of the first lenses I bought when I got serious about photography.  I loved it to death.  Literally.  Used it up with many years of photos and abuse.  Today I have replaced it and added AI and AI-S copies as well.  It's just a great focal length.
thanks for the comment, actually I dont use my Ai 24mm f2.8 too often,the reason is I can't use wide angel lens very well for a beautiful photo, I normally use 50mm/f2 105/f2.5 135/3.5 in daily life.
I am not professional photographer, no pressure to use manual lens. enjoy the focusing movement and  it's light weight.

another reason is nowadays the main lens on mobile phone is also about 24mm angel, it's more easy to use when you want to take a picture.

bressong

• NG Member
  • a nikon user
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2024, 15:49:42 »
btw; for the huge number of F mount lens on the world, why nikon dont think about launch a DF II camera? or a another vintage looking  F mount digital camera body