Author Topic: RIP David Paterson  (Read 3484 times)

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
RIP David Paterson
« on: December 29, 2023, 17:53:47 »
Dear NikonGear Friends,

I haven't been on NG for quite some time, hopefully some of you still remember me from the first of the Scottish gatherings organised by David Paterson.

Unfortunately David's health deteriorated in recent years, and it is with great sadness that I am now bringing you the news that he has passed away peacefully on 21st Dec 2023.
His wife Mayumi and son Sean were with him.

Mayumi asked to tell you that the NG gathering at Loch Tay Highland Lodges was one of his recent highlights.

David's funeral will be on Monday, 15th January '24.

Peace,
Simone
Simone Tomasi

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Re: RIP David Paterson
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 18:16:37 »
Oh no! So sorry to hear, all my condolences!!

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2023, 18:35:20 »
This is unbearably sad. Just sad.

I always have him in my heart. And his fantastic Maiko girl picture printed large and signed, on my wall.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2023, 19:27:58 »
From my first meet-up with Dave. Lofoten 2011. Dave being phlegmatic as ever. We met on several occasions later, mostly in Scotland. I stayed over night several times as well, so came to know Mayumi, his adorable Japanese wife, Sean, the son and family, and of course Sally, the dog.

Last time was on our return from Skye in 2022, together with Frank Fremery. Dave and I spent an afternoon discussing his images, shared a lively critique session with lots of talk and whisky, and he asked me which ones I preferred. As I already had fallen in love with his Maiko girl portrait, I pointed at a preprint he had made. Dave then said, 'OK, I'll print it large and send you -- what's the address?' I thanked him and some time later a big print arrived by mail. I had it framed and hung on the wall where Ruth and I see and enjoy it daily.  This image will for ever be the embodiment of Dave to me..

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2023, 21:07:49 »
I do rememebr the posts from the get togethers of some of you with him

May he rest in peace
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2023, 21:33:13 »
Such sad news. I didn't know him in person but here in NG. Always enjoyed his work and contributions, so inspiring. My condolences to the family. 

May he rest in peace.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2023, 16:02:34 »
Very sad indeed, we have fond memories of our NG meeting in Scotland 2019, where David had arranged a nice house for us. He was a very nice guy and a great photographer, will be missed.
Best regards from Gunver and Bent

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2023, 19:28:26 »
Very Sad news. Condolences to the family.

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2023, 23:01:36 »
What a sad news. I only knew him from the 2019 meet up he organised in Scotland.
A few memories from the week:
•   Most days, I woke up early to photograph a dipper’s nest close to the lodge.  Every time, I thought I was first but Dave was always gone already, to catch the first light up a mountain pass.
•   Despite the disease, whose symptoms were already obvious, I saw him jump over a barbed wire fence to reach a little wood on a hill. I’ve been here many times, I know there is a photo here, he said, but I can’t find it and I keep coming back.
•   We were driving through the mountains when he told us to stop right there. Out of the car, and with a big smile, he showed me a spot and framed a picture with his hands and said: I sold this picture 5000$, twice.
•   The best advice of the week was from him: you have a great sky, find something to put under!

I will always remember his recollection of a trip back to UK from an assignment in Japan. As a young photographer with no contract awaiting him, he decided to come back by train across Russia. At each stop, he was interrogated by the police and/or the KGB. They could not figure out why someone would choose to go from Japan to UK this way. With his photo gear, the only explanation that made sense to them was that he was a British spy, so he was closely monitored during the whole journey. The funny thing is that back to UK, he was also interrogated by the secret service, because they could not figure out why he would choose to spend so much time in Russia. The only explanation they had was that he was a Russian spy :)

I keep very fond memories of our discussions. I’ll miss you, Dave, rest in peace.

Condolences to his wife and son and family.
Bruno Schröder

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2023, 04:14:56 »
I was very saddened to hear about Dave's passing. I have fond memories of Dave from the several NikonGear meetups in Scotland that he hosted, and from a couple of visits he made to Japan while I was living there (mini meetups with Akira). He was a wonderful landscape photographer who travelled extensively, and was an accomplished mountaineer with some spectacular photos as documentation. He loved Japan, and met his wonderful wife Mayumi there.

Dave was a devout Scotsman, and retired to a beautiful location on the shores of Loch Tay where he continued with his photography until his illness constrained him physically. I admired his ability to create something special from otherwise (to me) pedestrian scenery. He was very frustrated by his increasing physical limitations as his illness progressed, but was stoic about it. He was generous with his time and photography tips, and with his prints, of which I have a couple.

I stayed with Dave and Mayumi in Killin a couple of times - he was usually up at first light to wander around the shores of nearby Loch Tay with his camera and his dog Sally, and Mayumi was up early to tend to their large, rambling garden.

Vale Dave Paterson - I will miss him and the wonderful images that he posted on NikonGear.
Mike Selby - Sydney

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2023, 04:31:11 »
Simone, thank you for taking your time to tell us this sad news.

I was shocked to know about Dave's passing.  Dave, Mike Selby (Mikes here in NG) and I have enjoyed small meet-ups in 2015 and 2017 when Dave came to Japan with Mayumi-san to visit her family near Tokyo.

https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=2057.0

https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=6828.0

The meet-ups seem like yesterday.  My sincere condolence.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2023, 04:34:56 »
I was very saddened to hear about Dave's passing. I have fond memories of Dave from the several NikonGear meetups in Scotland that he hosted, and from a couple of visits he made to Japan while I was living there (mini meetups with Akira). He was a wonderful landscape photographer who travelled extensively, and was an accomplished mountaineer with some spectacular photos as documentation. He loved Japan, and met his wonderful wife Mayumi there.

Dave was a devout Scotsman, and retired to a beautiful location on the shores of Loch Tay where he continued with his photography until his illness constrained him physically. I admired his ability to create something special from otherwise (to me) pedestrian scenery. He was very frustrated by his increasing physical limitations as his illness progressed, but was stoic about it. He was generous with his time and photography tips, and with his prints, of which I have a couple.

I stayed with Dave and Mayumi in Killin a couple of times - he was usually up at first light to wander around the shores of nearby Loch Tay with his camera and his dog Sally, and Mayumi was up early to tend to their large, rambling garden.

Vale Dave Paterson - I will miss him and the wonderful images that he posted on NikonGear.

Hi, Mike, good to see you here.  Although it is rather a sad opportunity, but I believe Dave made us see each other again.

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2023, 07:00:21 »
Hi, Mike, good to see you here.  Although it is rather a sad opportunity, but I believe Dave made us see each other again.

Hello Akira - thank you for your note. Yes, it was a shock for me too, and a trigger for me to post a message here.

I haven't used my camera for quite a while, but I took a spur of the moment decision to fly to Japan for a few days in early December (business trip for my wife) and I blew the dust off my camera and took it with me. I'll post a couple of images.

We are planning to come to Tokyo again (and other parts of Japan) for a longer stay next year (2024), and would love to meet up with you. I will let you know as soon as we have dates.

Cheers,

Mike.
Mike Selby - Sydney

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2023, 07:39:10 »
Hello Akira - thank you for your note. Yes, it was a shock for me too, and a trigger for me to post a message here.

I haven't used my camera for quite a while, but I took a spur of the moment decision to fly to Japan for a few days in early December (business trip for my wife) and I blew the dust off my camera and took it with me. I'll post a couple of images.

We are planning to come to Tokyo again (and other parts of Japan) for a longer stay next year (2024), and would love to meet up with you. I will let you know as soon as we have dates.

Cheers,

Mike.

Hi, Mike, it's nice to know that you are taking pictures again now.  I'm looking forward to your posts here and seeing you in Japan next year!

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2023, 09:56:51 »
One of the nicest people I’ve ever met.
Chris Dees