Gear Talk > What the Nerds Do

Guidance on Moving from F to Z mount

<< < (3/3)

Ian Watson:
We crossed posts  :)

--- Quote from: ColinM on December 29, 2023, 16:39:41 ---So once I find an option that offers a convincing upgrade path from my D500 (pixels, similar AF capability and equivalent reach to what DX offers), I'll be ready to move :)

--- End quote ---

Nikon may yet surprise us with a Z-mount version of the D500. An alternative, however, would be a Z8 or Z9 set to DX mode. That would give you similar pixels and the latest AF technology. The only downside is the price.

ColinM:
Thanks again Ian.
I guess renting a Z8 and 400mm f4.5 for a few days will be the best way to assess things

Meanwhile, I'm sure I read a post here recently where someone was adding a blob of something [glue?] to some of the buttons or controls on their Nikon mirrorless body!

fish_shooter:
A few weeks ago I used my old 28mm PC (ie. non-E) on my Z9. Bottom front FN is set to 200% mag that I used to focus with but it was mostly done at infinity. Exposure via M by trial and error - mainly was trying to minimize the blinkies exposing for the shadows (most of the scenes) as the sun was single digits above the horizon (60° N latitude) at true noon (1330 to 1400 in my time zone during DST). Traveling now so cannot show. MF on the Zs is much superior to the DSLRs due to magnification function.

--- Quote from: ColinM on December 29, 2023, 16:39:41 ---Thanks Birna & Ian

At some stage, I may do more wideangle photography.
And I'm still interested in PCE lenses for a specific project (I understand older, simpler Nikon PC-Es become less of a handful on the Z bodies, e.g.easier to judge exposure)

Meanwhile, my main interest is at the telephoto end.
So once I find an option that offers a convincing upgrade path from my D500 (pixels, similar AF capability and equivalent reach to what DX offers), I'll be ready to move :)

--- End quote ---

paul hofseth:
As to  the question of applying a drop of cyanoacrylat, I decided against since the offending knobs and wheels at times do have a useful function, BUT like on my R9, Leitz decided that the easily moved wheel on the R8 ought to have a locking button. Nikon should have introduced something similar on my Z7

p.

Nasos Kosmas:

--- Quote from: Ian Watson on December 29, 2023, 17:01:19 ---We crossed posts  :)

Nikon may yet surprise us with a Z-mount version of the D500. An alternative, however, would be a Z8 or Z9 set to DX mode. That would give you similar pixels and the latest AF technology. The only downside is the price.

--- End quote ---
I fully agree
If you need z for birding-BIF Z8/9 is the only option
I tried Z8 and despite the extra weight (910 gr) , limited battery (compared to d500) , I was amazed with 20fps raw tracking capability with 500pf plus 1.4x teleconverter
Plus unlimited customization, cleaner files , 22 Mb compressed raw files and many more
As I  already said  for me a FF body is preferable for Birding-BIF, you have a better viewing angle an don’t miss the target easy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version