Author Topic: Messages on Nikongear  (Read 1494 times)

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
Messages on Nikongear
« on: December 08, 2023, 11:37:54 »
I got caught out today.
I received an email notification to say I'd been sent a message of NG - see below

I replied, not paying close enough attention to other text in the message, assuming it was from Birna......mistake :)

So you may already know Birna, but your avatar seems linked to all notification messages coming out of NG. The only ones I've received since the new site was launched have been from you so far, so that all seemed correct......up until today

Let me know if any of this doesn't make sense, but it would be worth changing the image linked to NG notification emails :)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Messages on Nikongear
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 12:18:15 »
Apparently, the message from Anthony was forwarded to you, hemce included my answer -- to him -- and thus my avatar as well.

The problem is more of visual clarity when someone forwards messages and doesn't have an avatar of their own?

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 14:09:22 »
Just to clarify, the screenshot above was taken from my email - not Nikongear.
See below

So Birna's pic appears on email notifications being sent out by the Nikongear site
(e.g. to tell us we've had a new message on NG)

Are you still content with this?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 14:16:44 »
When you send me a PM, I can see your avatar ... whether or not the avatar shows up on the email depends on HTML rendering has been selected (or not). Thus I don't see this in my mailbox, only when reading messages on NG.

In this case, the presence of my avatar must be caused by a forwarded message. Ask Anthony to send you another (*not* forwarded) and report back how that PM appears (on NG/in email). I read through the forum code for PMs and could not detect anything unusual there to explain my avatar would be a substitute for other people's avatars. Neither are there any configurable settings for such "feature" in the Admin panels.

The sender's email address should have been office@nikongear.net; have to check on that.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 14:25:40 »
Oops: I had set Webmaster's email address in error, that was an oversight from the initial testing stage of the new forum. PM notifications ought to be from 'office@nikongear.net' now.