Author Topic: Nikon AF Screwdriver Support just for Sony E to come?  (Read 1937 times)

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
Nikon AF Screwdriver Support just for Sony E to come?
« on: November 15, 2023, 14:10:47 »
This post ist based on the following rumor:
https://nikonrumors.com/2023/11/13/monsteradapter-is-developing-a-new-la-fe2-lens-adapter-f-to-e-mount-with-af-support-for-older-nikkor-d-type-lenses.aspx/

If that proves to come true, we might face a situation, where there is better support for some old Nikon lenses combined with Sony E- mount cameras than it is the case for Nikon Z bodies.
Whereas the retro Df gives better lens support than any Nikon F-moount body, the retro Zf offesr nothing better in this term than any other Z-body, as it is solely depending on the adapter, and there still is no FTZ3 adapter - I hope there will be.

P.S. Most of the forum members will know that contrary to the article behind the link above not all AF Lenses with D-function are screwdriver AF lenses (there are some AF-S lenses with D characteristics and aperture ring too - i am owning four of those) and not all screwdriver AF-lenses have D characteristics as the first AF- lenses came without providing the distance information.
Wolfgang Rehm

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Nikon AF Screwdriver Support just for Sony E to come?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 10:04:55 »
Well could be that a Techart Sony E – Nikon Z Autofocus Adapter would make your day  ;D
Erik Lund

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 16:28:23 »
Well could be that a Techart Sony E – Nikon Z Autofocus Adapter would make your day  ;D

This is a remarkable solution but I dont own any E-Mount lenses and currently I am not planning to aquire any.
What I'd like to have (no surprise)  is an FTZ-adapter with AI and screwdriver-AF support for my eight screwdriver-AF-lenses (one of them non-D btw ;-) )
Wolfgang Rehm

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2023, 10:36:27 »
My intension was to stack the two adapters,,,!
Nikkor AF-D lens on (Nikon AF-D to Sony E) and the (Sony E to Nikon Z) on the Nikon Z camera,,,
Erik Lund

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2023, 20:34:29 »
My intension was to stack the two adapters,,,!
Nikkor AF-D lens on (Nikon AF-D to Sony E) and the (Sony E to Nikon Z) on the Nikon Z camera,,,

Havent thought about that stacking might be possible also electronicwise (had the idea that it might need a camera firmware upgrade before to operate a screwdriver AF lens but as the adapters supposedly must be able just emulate a different environment to work, why not)
Wolfgang Rehm

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2023, 23:55:03 »
I wonder if the competition between Nikon and Sony could make Nikon consider to make an similar adapter for Z-mount?
Probably the market is still small compared to selling Z cameras and lenses.

I have 3 screw AF lenses (300/2.8, 180/2.8, 85/1.4).
Screw AF lenses may raise a bit in value if Nikon makes such an adapter?

Would any of you consider a screw AF lens if Nikon made such an adapter?
Which one?     ......one of the 80-200?
Maybe time to get some before prices goes up? :-)

Ian Watson

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2023, 02:02:26 »
I wonder if the competition between Nikon and Sony could make Nikon consider to make an similar adapter for Z-mount?

No. I would rather put the money for both the adapter and a suitable lens towards another S-line lens. If old-school is the order of the day then I have AI lenses  :)

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2023, 15:48:28 »
I would hope so

I have 3 screw AF lenses (300/2.8, 180/2.8, 85/1.4).
Screw AF lenses may raise a bit in value if Nikon makes such an adapter?

Which one?     ......one of the 80-200?
Maybe time to get some before prices goes up? :-)

In my case I would not buy new screw AF lenses but I'd like to use mine, and some are so unique that it can be considered worth buying

such as the only zoom Micro Nikkor the 70-180
the AF Micro Nikkor 200 mm  f/4 ED
(the can be used with AF but recently i found AF somewhat useful in closeup insect work and thus  i bought the 105 mm AF-S for my Z6 (before the 105 mm Z-mount became available)
you named the 85 mm f/4, and i like the 24-85 mm f/2,8-4 with its built in  1:2 closeup capability
My first ever AF lens the 75-300 mm f/4,5-5,6 (non D!!!) is also on this list - havent used it for years
Wolfgang Rehm

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2023, 16:14:21 »
I'd never use the Zoom-Micro-Nikkor 70-180 or the Micro 200/4 ED in AF mode. They focus unbearable slow in that manner, plus the requirement of moving the A/M ring from 'M' to 'A' , and back again, is a recipe for it getting broken. I had that A/M ring break-up disaster happen to me for more than one AFD lens, so no thanks.

The AF of the 85/1.4 is a bit faster, but not exactly silent in operation, thus I continue to use it in manual focusing mode like I have done for 20+ years  already :)

This is my personal response. I'm sure other people think differently and am happy on their behalf if these older Nikkors can be used to full capacity on the new Z generation cameras.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2023, 20:54:18 »
I'd never use the Zoom-Micro-Nikkor 70-180 or the Micro 200/4 ED in AF mode. They focus unbearable slow in that manner, plus the requirement of moving the A/M ring from 'M' to 'A' , and back again, is a recipe for it getting broken. I had that A/M ring break-up disaster happen to me for more than one AFD lens, so no thanks.

The AF of the 85/1.4 is a bit faster, but not exactly silent in operation, thus I continue to use it in manual focusing mode like I have done for 20+ years  already :)

This is my personal response. I'm sure other people think differently and am happy on their behalf if these older Nikkors can be used to full capacity on the new Z generation cameras.

Thanks to your insights I have wrapped some tarred tape around the A/M ring to secure it a little bit and if I handle it I do it with care. The AF is indeed slow but for me its use  makes sense in some situations nevertheless

Same is true for Portraits with the 85/1,4, and I forgot to mention that both the 105 and the 135 mm DC lenses are also screwdriver lenses (and would be still worth buying- btw the new Z mount 135 mm f/1,8 was rumored as DC lens but actually isn't

P.S. The (massive and bulky) AF-S Nikkor 600 mm f/4 G IF ED VR II does not have the usual button for VR activation but rather a ring that looks like it is similar fragile than the screwdriver lenses mentioned above

Wolfgang Rehm

paul hofseth

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2023, 08:10:48 »
I am tempted to comment even if I rarely use autofocus. My Angenieux nikon mount screwdriver zoom works perfectly as a manually focussed lens big focus rings easy to grasp with gloves in cold weather. I also like its Squared hood and rectangular anti-glare mask in front of the first piece of glass.

p.

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2023, 18:58:55 »
Same is true for Portraits with the 85/1,4, and I forgot to mention that both the 105 and the 135 mm DC lenses are also screwdriver lenses (and would be still worth buying- btw the new Z mount 135 mm f/1,8 was rumored as DC lens but actually isn't

Add to the list the AF-D 28mm/1.4, another candidate for a screwdriver adapter. Crossing my fingers.
Another Austrian Terminator in California