Author Topic: Nikon triangular split rings  (Read 1180 times)

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
Nikon triangular split rings
« on: November 14, 2023, 08:43:10 »
A curiosity to be sure ….

I recently bought a ZF, and during the process of experimenting with straps and neck straps I removed one of the triangular split rings and lost it. Soon after I came to the conclusion that I did indeed need two split rings on the camera, but how to buy a replacement?!

I tried some of the inevitably cheap made in China Amazon efforts, but they were crap. Very thin gauge split rings, and the black plastic covers all broke.

So I went looking for genuine Nikon ‘parts’, which should be easy here in Japan. But all I could find were obscure old Nikon triangular split rings with a break off bit? And the black plastic bits have a ‘Nikon’ emblem.

I’m not complaining, but it strikes me as odd that there is no seemingly obvious way to obtain genuine (or of equal quality) modern Nikon triangular split rings and plastic covers.

The difference between genuine and cheap crap alternatives becomes obvious as soon as you try to attach the cheap crap.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Nikon triangular split rings
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 09:02:00 »
Easy solution: buy another Zf for spare parts :)

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 09:26:06 »
I would, but the next delivery won’t be until May! :-(

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 10:16:31 »
...old Nikon triangular split rings with a break off bit? ...

Yes, the "brake off" tail makes it much easier to mount the split ring onto the camera lug, so you don't risk braking your fingernails ;)
The old metal stamped strap locks are by far also to be preferred, ie. stronger.
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 10:27:42 »
I would, but the next delivery won’t be until May! :-(

You may want to try to ask at Nikon Plaza in Shinjuku.  Though the triangle rings are not sold publicly, chances could be that they would offer them as repair parts (maybe with the plastic parts with the embossed Nikon logo).

If you need, I could call them to make sure.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Hans_S

• NG Supporter
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2023, 11:07:24 »
Fishing tackle stores sell small pliers specially designed to handle split rings. They have a small "beak" that spreads the turns on the rings whilst holding the ring securely...no broken fingernails and no rings springing off into the ether never to be found again!
Hans Schepers

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2023, 20:57:37 »
You may want to try to ask at Nikon Plaza in Shinjuku.  Though the triangle rings are not sold publicly, chances could be that they would offer them as repair parts (maybe with the plastic parts with the embossed Nikon logo).

If you need, I could call them to make sure.

Thanks for the kind offer, but I was able to buy genuine Nikon rings and covers from Yodobashi. The rings have the break off bits, which I have no objection to. :)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2023, 02:00:56 »
Thanks for the kind offer, but I was able to buy genuine Nikon rings and covers from Yodobashi. The rings have the break off bits, which I have no objection to. :)

Good to know that!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira