Author Topic: Plena?  (Read 12432 times)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Plena?
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2023, 16:36:40 »
I have a couple of those.
One of them a near mint 13.5 cm that got a damage to the filter ring during transport but optics still mint but not collectible anymore.....
I wonder about the 200 Nikkor-Q......if it is the simple optics that behaves nice regarding perfect circles......

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2023, 17:57:18 »
The unassuming little 135mm f/3,5 looks near perfect in these regards - rounded bokeh balls in the periphery, and very slight vignetting.
You are adressing the old  Nikkor Q 135/3,5 or later versions? (or maybe both if it does not matter)
Wolfgang Rehm

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2023, 18:06:46 »
My thoughts exactly ;) I was looking at my sample of that lens  8)
Of course because it’s a lens originally designed for use as a lens head on a bellows with movement: Bellows Nikkor 105 mm f/4 so has a larger image circle compared to other Nikon F lenses.
Erik Lund

gabrielpix

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2023, 19:21:44 »
You are adressing the old  Nikkor Q 135/3,5 or later versions? (or maybe both if it does not matter)

The one I tested is the AiS version.
I also later checked Richard Haw's site https://richardhaw.com/lens-repair-articles/ - apparently, the old Q has another optical design. Interestingly, Richard has posted no less than seven articles on different versions of the 135 f/3,5 (what a wealth of good information on his site!)
Another note: Richard Haw mentions a lot of flare on the older New-Nikkor 135 f/3,5 whereas I see very little of that on my AiS version. I suppose the coatings have been improved.

Still, of course, no comparison of any reasonable kind to the new PLENA. I only wanted to make a reference to the two aspects mentioned in earlier comments, about a relative lack of vignetting and round bokeh balls in the periphery.
Although I find the 135 f/3,5 a very well-behaved little lens, even wide open, it is of course nothing compared to the hugely impressive PLENA. Images from this one are something of the most mind-blowing I have seen (also, it has 4 times as many lens elements)

Another thing, and this is a very simple thought, maybe too simplified, regarding bokeh and cat's eye effects:
I believe there may be a relatively simple relationship between these effects and a small diameter of the front lens elements and the max. f-stop. Not a direct, linear relationship, but a co-variation that can perhaps be used as a guidance. Meaning, 52mm filter thread which is obviously restrictive for a lens like the 50mm f/1,2 may in fact be plenty big enough for other lenses with small f-stops like the 105 f/4 Micro or this 135 f/3,5.
Anyway, this was the reason I decided to check the 135 f/3,5. The new PLENA apparently has an 82mm filter diameter and I am sure that is an essential part of its magic.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2023, 22:20:56 »
These 4-lens designs (3 and 4 groups) may be sharp enough for portraits wide open.....and if they produce circular discs they may be a "poor mans" option for a Plena :-)
I can't justify for myself getting one (I buy some good wine instead and some matched Toshiba JFETs for my audio projects :-) ).......as I would use it very seldom. But I am impressed by the lens.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Member
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2023, 22:34:08 »
Compared to the 70-200/2.8S (89x220mm, 1440g) which is only 200 Euro less expensive, this 135/1.8 (98x139.5mm, 995g) has my preference. Very tempting to get one  8)

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2023, 22:38:07 »
I can't justify for myself getting one (I buy some good wine instead and some matched Toshiba JFETs for my audio projects :-) ).......as I would use it very seldom. But I am impressed by the lens.
As I am not drinking wine, i am going to buy the lens instead ;-)
Wolfgang Rehm

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2023, 23:22:55 »
I could have purchased really many lenses for my wine budget during the years....and audio equipment :-)
Those class A amplifiers also burns a lot of heat but nice during the winter time.
The way a lens renders can be compared to how a good single ended class A amplifier sounds......or how good a nice complex wine tastes.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2023, 08:04:27 »
Meper, a very nice summation of some of the important matters in life!  ;D

I could have purchased really many lenses for my wine budget during the years....and audio equipment :-)
Those class A amplifiers also burns a lot of heat but nice during the winter time.
The way a lens renders can be compared to how a good single ended class A amplifier sounds......or how good a nice complex wine tastes.
Hugh Gunn

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2023, 12:07:32 »
:)
+1000

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2023, 14:56:46 »
I looked at my 135mm lens inventory. Quite a lot......
Two of them are f/2.8. The very old and large Nikkor-Q and then a later version but still non-ai. I think it is called "K-version". Quite compact and with built-in lens hood.
This version:
https://stephend.photo/nikon-nikkor-135mm-f28
My looks almost mint! :-)    no. 747598.
Stephen has made some tests images and I can see some round blur circles?
Could be a "poor mans" plena?     .....maybe on DX sensor....
Now with the Z-cameras and F to Z adapters the non-AI nikkors have more value than before as they work as good as the AI/AIS versions.

Regarding lens rendering, class A audio amplifiers and wine I was lucky to get no. 1 of 1933 when the 2015 vintage was released a few months back! :-)

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2023, 19:36:36 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_5n-xKYrG8

The pixel shift does more than just create more pixels, is also discussed in the video, Ricci always has interesting information!

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2023, 02:40:29 »
Thanks Fons.

The YouTube clip is a long one at 1hr 17mins.  The pixel shift discussion goes on for 2 mins and starts around 10min 40sec into the clip.
He explains the resolution gains and enhanced colour options available versus the number of picture shift frames taken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_5n-xKYrG8

The pixel shift does more than just create more pixels, is also discussed in the video, Ricci always has interesting information!
Hugh Gunn

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2023, 03:52:07 »
Nikkor-Q ::)

for a fraction of the price :o :o :o

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2023, 11:00:15 »
This is the 135/3.5 Q-C variant when I had it out for a walk with my Z50 a long time ago. I was interested in the performance of the lens and took some various hand hold images.
I look forward to get a body with IBIS. This will make the old Nikkors much more usable. Especially I would like to know what Nikon's plan is for future DX-bodies regarding IBIS etc. before I go with a Zf......
I am impressed how well you can correct a lens using only four elements :-)