Author Topic: Plena?  (Read 12354 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Re: Plena?
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2023, 19:30:14 »
Not sure if these will help.

I have both the Plena and the earlier Zeissf/2.0 version of the 135mm, not the Milvus.

The shots are marked by the file names.

_Z7R6399-2-Plena-1.8-Single
_Z7R6400-2-Plena-5.6-Single
_Z7R6458-2-Zeiss-2.0-Single
_Z7R6401-2-Plena-Stack (59 layers)

To me, the comparison is moot. I bought the Plena for the lack of vignetting and clarity of the whole frame.

ARROW shows what I was focusing on.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2023, 02:09:05 »
Thanks for posting the above comparison images.   Even though I own the Zeiss 135/2 lens, after studying the images you posted, I have to admit that overall I do find that I prefer the Plena image.

You said that the Plena has "lack of vignetting and clarity of the whole frame."   I really didn't notice any vignetting in the Zeiss image; nor did the Zeiss image lack clarity of the whole frame.  To my eye, I preferred the Plena image because I thought it had the better looking background blur, AND I preferred how the Plena rendered the subject (sharper, more 3D like pop, better contrast).   

I'd certainly trade my Zeiss 135 lens in a heartbeat for the Plena.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2023, 02:57:57 »
Thanks for posting the above comparison images.   Even though I own the Zeiss 135/2 lens, after studying the images you posted, I have to admit that overall I do find that I prefer the Plena image.

You said that the Plena has "lack of vignetting and clarity of the whole frame."   I really didn't notice any vignetting in the Zeiss image; nor did the Zeiss image lack clarity of the whole frame.  To my eye, I preferred the Plena image because I thought it had the better looking background blur, AND I preferred how the Plena rendered the subject (sharper, more 3D like pop, better contrast).   

I'd certainly trade my Zeiss 135 lens in a heartbeat for the Plena.

You have to actually see the Plena image. It is very bright compared to what we are used to. It has a very nice effect.

I am using it as I use the lenses I have. I have to learn to use it for its own sake. A new kind of lens, IMO.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

SHEN_HUI

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2023, 03:27:17 »
Like something magic.

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2023, 18:16:28 »
Beautiful image SHEN_HUI, thanks for sharing it.

How is the auto focus on this lens?   

How is the manual focus on this lens?   How long is the focus throw?  I do hope that this is not one of those new lenses with "focus by wire".

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2023, 22:39:19 »
piano - piano! I feel like Nikon have made too many offers lately that I cannot refuse  ;)

Feel like: Rent a new house to store the stuff you buy and do not use???
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2023, 06:49:11 »
The PLena reminds me of the 200mm/2.0 rendering with less compression
Another Austrian Terminator in California

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2023, 00:25:01 »
So, adjust the shutter speed. I never shoot at this ISO anyway. Just freaked me out. Yet, since you are the lens master, IMO, I believe you would really like this lens. Here is just a dirt simple shot with it.

I am, for the moment, abandoning focus stacking, This lens might revert me back to single-shot photography.
Of all that I have seen the character is pretty similar to my 1.4/105E ... differences are: a) no vignetting and b) round bokeh balls, no cat eyes ... as a Zf fan now I am looking more in the light lens to carry always arena. I aleary got several fillings of heavy and expensive glass.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2023, 03:13:13 »
Of all that I have seen the character is pretty similar to my 1.4/105E ... differences are: a) no vignetting and b) round bokeh balls, no cat eyes ... as a Zf fan now I am looking more in the light lens to carry always arena. I aleary got several fillings of heavy and expensive glass.
Frank, there is a major argument in favor of the Plena though. While the 105/1.4E has more or less the same weight (slightly more w the FTZ) it is extremely front heavy. The Plena, even on smaller bodies like the Z6/7, balances very nicely and subjectively it feels significantly lighter. Since I am facing a loss of dexterity this is a major advantage. YMMV :)
I can post comparison shots of the 105E with the Plena if desired.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2023, 03:42:46 »

Nikon developed a special software called OPTIA, short for Optical Performance and Total Image Analyzer, to assess the character of lenses by measuring all the optical aberrations.  The "Neo Noct" AF-S 58mm f1.2 was the first lens developed with OPTIA.

I guess that the characters of lenses, especially those of fast standard and short/mid tele lenses have been more tightly controlled in the design process.  I wouldn't wonder if the characters of 104/1.4 and the Plena would look similar.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

F2F3F6

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2023, 19:56:26 »
" The "Neo Noct" AF-S 58mm f1.2 "...

You probably mean the 1,4/58 AFS G, Akira ?

Nikon never reached f:1,2 for an AFS Nikkor in F mount...alas !

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2023, 22:37:31 »
Frank, there is a major argument in favor of the Plena though. While the 105/1.4E has more or less the same weight (slightly more w the FTZ) it is extremely front heavy. The Plena, even on smaller bodies like the Z6/7, balances very nicely and subjectively it feels significantly lighter. Since I am facing a loss of dexterity this is a major advantage. YMMV :)
I can post comparison shots of the 105E with the Plena if desired.

ymmv...I see that my beloved Z 1.2/50S does not balance well on the Zf compared to two days worth of shooting in Paris (end of November) with the Z6. The rougher surface and deep handgrip of the Z6 help compared to the weight distribution and sleek surface of the Zf

Plus, something else. In the film days I took a lot of 135 shots on the zoom I had for my OM-1 and with the 2.8/135 Ai.

Later I got the F4 and immediately bought the 1.8/85 AF-D ... since then I am hooked to 85mm for portraits.

The 1.4/105 E was a deviation in that route for super charming portrait work in the studio and thousands of happy customers in that field. And it was a treat for nature shots too.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2023, 23:28:39 »
" The "Neo Noct" AF-S 58mm f1.2 "...

You probably mean the 1,4/58 AFS G, Akira ?

Nikon never reached f:1,2 for an AFS Nikkor in F mount...alas !

You're right.  My bad!  I did mean AFS 58/1.4G.  Thank you for the correction.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #118 on: December 08, 2023, 00:03:28 »
You're right.  My bad!  I did mean AFS 58/1.4G.  Thank you for the correction.

The neo noct is my favourite portrait lens on the D500,,, a very great lens on FX too

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2023, 04:55:28 »
Season's colors - not perfect in the corners but very close