Author Topic: So, the ZF ...  (Read 27655 times)

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
Re: So, the ZF ...
« Reply #315 on: January 05, 2024, 07:56:41 »
I told him he ought to add an advisory note about it on the web site and on eBay. But it must be said that he sells them as being for the Z8 and Z9, not the ZF.

Though he does have a ZF himself, and needed to do the same ‘hack’  ;)
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #316 on: January 05, 2024, 10:01:45 »
Either there should be a dedicated Zf version, or a warning that the fit of the eye cup can be less than optimal on the Zf. I surmise the hole for the locking pin could wear quickly if the cup is moved around between camera models. The factory designs use a metal plate to secure the locking pin and the fit of a Nikon Z9 cup to the Zf is bad. Clearly they weren't made to be interchangeable.

All that being said, the Zf looks gorgeous with the deep eye cup. Perfect for users wearing glasses. Thus I'm glad I followed your tip and purchased a sample of the Zemlin myself.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #317 on: January 05, 2024, 11:28:45 »
Same here. I am quite satisfied with this eyecup, given that I rarely manipulate the back screen.
Airy Magnien

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #318 on: January 05, 2024, 11:37:24 »
Due to the special-fitted L-bracket to my Zf, there are limited movements of the rear screen any way.

Most if not all standard brackets for the Zf adds a protrusion to the front which destroys the handling of the camera for my hands, plus there is no support for portrait mode set up of the camera. I modified an exisiting Markins L-bracket for Z6/7 to fit the Zf snugly. Works very well.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #319 on: January 05, 2024, 23:04:18 »
Another option for an eyecup is described here. Basically you get an eyecup made for fujifilm cameras and remove the rubber part. You then take apart the DK-33 on the ZF and attach the rubber part.

This seems to be quite a widespread ‘hack’, as I first came across it in a Japanese blog post.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1741021/1&year=2022#15937391

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #320 on: January 19, 2024, 13:37:35 »
It has been already 4 months since the introduction of the  ZF and I can see that those of you who got it are using it regularly even thou you have more options. Can I assume that it is that fun/good, or it is just an impression of new toy?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #321 on: January 19, 2024, 14:39:19 »
Super camera if you like it -- as I do. Very nearly a Df in mirrorless disguise, but with video added. I could do well without the latter feature, but realise people's requirements vary.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #322 on: January 19, 2024, 14:49:52 »
Super camera if you like it -- as I do. Very nearly a Df in mirrorless disguise, but with video added. I could do well without the latter feature, but realise people's requirements vary.

The Milage varies. I love the Zf and I hate the Df ...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #323 on: January 19, 2024, 15:09:07 »
And I looove the Df and the Zf just as much, but for different reasons. The Df was my daily companion 2014-2022. Now it needs an overhaul (problems with sealing rings and buttons).

Not sure the Zf career will last as long; we'll see.

Biggest loss: OVF
Biggest win: focussing aids, and IBIS.

Note that I use manual focus lenses most of the time, old and new.

Image quality is very good in both cases.
Airy Magnien

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #324 on: January 19, 2024, 23:03:42 »
Thsnk you.
 I love the idea of the DF and the files but never got used to the camera.Now the ZF is here and I may try again. All you guys mention as good things resonate.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #325 on: January 20, 2024, 00:55:32 »
Thsnk you.
 I love the idea of the DF and the files but never got used to the camera.Now the ZF is here and I may try again. All you guys mention as good things resonate.

+1 ... Df  idea good but it just did not convince in practical use for me
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #326 on: January 20, 2024, 01:37:39 »

+1 ... Df  idea good but it just did not convince in practical use for me

The Df front dial is what killed it for me. Such a horrible implementation.

For manual lenses the ZF is killa, but I guess the two new Nikon cameras on the brink of release will be equally suited to manual lenses.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #327 on: January 20, 2024, 09:57:19 »
The front dial of the Df was indeed horrible. Which was an incitament for me to CPU-modify all my manual F-mount lenses :) Thus I could use the aperture ring instead of the dial.

A pity indeed the FTZ-adapters don't have an aperture follower that transmits the information to the camera, thus I have to use the camera dial -- or set aperture on the lens and ignore any warning of wrong exposure. EXIF lacks the aperture value for these lenses anyway.

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #328 on: January 21, 2024, 17:46:11 »
Another option for an eyecup is described here. Basically you get an eyecup made for fujifilm cameras and remove the rubber part. You then take apart the DK-33 on the ZF and attach the rubber part.

This seems to be quite a widespread ‘hack’, as I first came across it in a Japanese blog post.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1741021/1&year=2022#15937391

I checked my DK-33 and seems an easy hack
How about comparing it with Zemlin eyecup, I need an alternate  for Z8
Thank you

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #329 on: January 21, 2024, 18:36:25 »
The Df front dial is what killed it for me. Such a horrible implementation.
Indeed the greatest Df nuissance - it does not take too long until my fingers hurt while handling the cameras and they are rather sensible to that

For manual lenses the ZF is killa, but I guess the two new Nikon cameras on the brink of release will be equally suited to manual lenses.
Unlike the Df compared to other Nikon F-mount digital cameras the suitability to manual lenses is pretty much the same for all Z-Cameras it solely depends on what the adapter is capable of (and an FTZIII is still missing). The only exception that comes to my mind immeiately is the new firmware upgraded Extended Menu for adding non CPU lens data the Z9 (and so far just the Z9) has got.
Wolfgang Rehm