Author Topic: So, the ZF ...  (Read 27649 times)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: So, the ZF ...
« Reply #285 on: December 26, 2023, 16:09:45 »
I get about 2000 shots on a single charge of EN-EL15c in the Zf, taken in 3 hours of time. I don't see a significant difference between the Z6 II and Zf though I have not shot them side by side. If you get poor battery performance, are you using a different battery than the EN-EL15c?  (The "c" letter is important.) EN-EL15a and b can be used but have lower capacity and the "a" type can't be charged in camera via the USB-C cable.

EN-EL15 (without any letter) can't be used in the Zf.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #286 on: December 26, 2023, 17:19:57 »
The "shooting pattern" largely defines how many shots per battery charge. I only shoot a few at the time and sessions can be extended over days. so for me anything above 200 captures per battery is good. Many times even far less, as there are other gadgets that "steal" power.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #287 on: December 26, 2023, 18:08:44 »
I guess the problem was, that the factory setting was "airplane mode" = off

while my Z6 is always set to "airplane mode" = on

could that be?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

aerobat

• NG Supporter
  • Daniel Diggelmann, Switzerland
« Reply #288 on: December 26, 2023, 20:20:38 »
Airplane mode is recommended to be ON when maximum battery life is the goal.
Daniel Diggelmann

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #289 on: December 26, 2023, 22:10:47 »
Airplane mode = ON defers the use of any external apps like remote control, GPS, etc.

A pity as the Zf lacks a true threaded receptacle for a cable release. Plus there is no 10-pin port or the equivalent (as with the Z5/6/7; Z8 and Z9 have the 10-pin port), thus using the USB port/Bluetooth/built-in wifi are the only options available.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #290 on: December 27, 2023, 16:46:49 »

:o :o :o

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #291 on: December 27, 2023, 17:07:23 »
curious to see the results.
Airy Magnien

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #292 on: December 27, 2023, 19:08:21 »
Me too. Sexy combo!

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #293 on: December 27, 2023, 20:41:58 »
I get about 2000 shots on a single charge of EN-EL15c in the Zf, taken in 3 hours of time. I don't see a significant difference between the Z6 II and Zf though I have not shot them side by side. If you get poor battery performance, are you using a different battery than the EN-EL15c?  (The "c" letter is important.) EN-EL15a and b can be used but have lower capacity and the "a" type can't be charged in camera via the USB-C cable.

EN-EL15 (without any letter) can't be used in the Zf.
I did not get it so far that those without any letter can't be used. I might have overlooked it but it says nothing like that in the reference manual.
Did anybody try this so far? what happens (damage? camera just not working?)
Wolfgang Rehm

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #294 on: December 27, 2023, 21:27:01 »
All versions can  be used. However, the oldest (without suffix) cannot be charged in-camera. Battery service life is shorter as well.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #295 on: December 27, 2023, 21:31:33 »
As to the venerable 5cm f/1.1 Nikkor-N, it does a good job once you realise it isn't the choice for faithful colour rendition. Lots of chromatic issues. However it'll do fine for b/w. And the combination of the 5cm f/1.1 and the Zf is visually adorable.

So far I've mainly used my 5cm f/1.1 for IR with the Z cameras.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #296 on: December 27, 2023, 23:10:26 »
All versions can  be used. However, the oldest (without suffix) cannot be charged in-camera. Battery service life is shorter as well.

From the ones without suffix there were the older Li-ion01 and the newer Li-ion20 types. With the D500 coming Nikon offered a free exchange which I used for three of this batteries. In total i have got a lot of camera bodies all using the EN-EL15 type and a lot of batteries from suffixless to c - and I am using all of them (weaker or stronger) in a kind of rotational cycle (The new Zf has not seen the very oldst batteries so far). I dont want to permanently consider which letter i have got, and by doing all the loads with the charger and never in camera while taking 2 spare batteries with me (it used to be one in former days) i managed to get away with that approach in all situations without running into troubles.
Wolfgang Rehm

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #297 on: December 27, 2023, 23:21:26 »
In those days I availed myself of the exchange offer by Nikon so got about 10 of the Li-Ion01 replaced by the Li-Ion20 version. These old batteries function in all cameras with the EN-El15 form factor. Just remember to use a recent version of the charger as well (MH-25a).

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #298 on: December 28, 2023, 13:38:32 »

Nikkor-N 5cm f/1.1 + Zf, see below. This is a late '50s lens so 65+ years old -- food for thought?

(on a side note: the greyish spots seen here and there are snowflakes in the air -- not dust on the Zf sensor!!)

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #299 on: December 28, 2023, 17:09:29 »
With the Z bodies having been out a few years, is there a "Moving from F to Z mount" guide anywhere?

Since this topic is wider than just the Zf, I started a new thread for you to reply to here

https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=10842.msg196259#msg196259