Author Topic: Nikon D600 Err Message  (Read 1050 times)

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Nikon D600 Err Message
« on: June 17, 2023, 08:35:06 »
Hi Everyone,

My Nikon D600 stopped working and is displaying an Err message on the top LCD and in the viewfinder. The command dials and function buttons don't work but I can get into the menu and view images on the SD card that I have taken previously.

I have never had problems with this camera before. It is 10 years old and only had light use. I have not used the camera for a few months, but have just received a Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 90mm 3.5 SL II so went to try it out. The camera seemed normal when I turned it on except the aperture read-out wasn't stable, it kept flicking between f/3.5 and f/4 with the lens wide open, but seemed to settle down when stopped down a little. When I pressed the shutter, there was a click followed by a short buzz, and the Err message appeared. No image was recorded. Now I don't get any aperture readout and whenever I press the shutter I get the same click and buzz. The reflex mirror does not flip up.

The battery was at 72%. I removing it and charged it up to 100%. I tried switching lenses and removing the SD card. The camera and lens contacts are all clean. Nothing has made a difference.

Is it possible the lens CPU is incompatible with my camera and somehow messed the electronics? I have an Voigtlander 40mm f2 SL-IIS Ultron, which has worked perfectly with my D600. I thought Voigtlander CPU lenses worked well with Nikon cameras, no compatibility issues. Or is my camera simply getting old? I expect I will have to take it to be serviced, but would like to hear from anyone who had a similar experience. Thanks.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Re: Nikon D600 Err Message
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2023, 08:39:18 »
Have you locked the aperture on the lens at minimum, or do you set the aperture on the lens?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2023, 10:29:08 »
Make sure the camera is set up to use the aperture ring on the lens. This is NOT the default setting for modern Nikons, however using the fickle camera dials to set aperture when the aperture ring is there on the lens is not recommended in my opinion. By the way, all Nikkors - and third-party lenses with proper CPU -- having aperture ring can set the aperture on the lens, provided the camera is moved off the default setting. You find the setting in the 'F' setting section, exact position differers between the models.

The best feature here, which Nikon carefully hides for you, is that setting up the camera this way allows using the aperture ring on any lens, while at the same time any 'G' lens defaults to using the camera dials. Thus only benefits are added, no drawbacks.

I have the Voigt 90/3.5 SL.2 and never noticed any incompatibility with any Nikon model used 

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2023, 11:33:47 »
Thank you for your replies. My camera has been set to use the aperture ring on the lens since day 1 and has not shifted from that position. There is definitely something wrong with the camera. For example, the mirror will not lift if I try to select "Clean image sensor", the camera says "this option is not available at the current settings or in the camera's current state". The mirror should also lift and shutter open when pressing the shutter release with no lens is attached, but all that happens is a click followed by a buzz, almost like the sound of a film motor drive, but not as loud.

jborg

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2023, 12:41:16 »
Just googling I found this YouTube video dealing with a similar problem on a D610.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmQV6YuHcpw
Maybe it can help. Best is servicing by a professional Nikon repair centre
I saw also some other videos dealing with Err problems on D600...
Good Luck

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2023, 21:58:07 »
Thanks, I had a look at the YouTube video. I don't think the mirror is stuck, I can move it up with the tip of a screwdriver and there is no indication that it is catching on anything. The shutter does fire and the aperture lever is working. No image is recorded unlike the D610 in the video. I'm certain the camera needs professional servicing :(

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2023, 04:42:31 »
Have you tried to initialize the camera?  If you can go into the menu, you should be able to do that.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2023, 05:50:48 »

The best feature here, which Nikon carefully hides for you, is that setting up the camera this way allows using the aperture ring on any lens, while at the same time any 'G' lens defaults to using the camera dials. Thus only benefits are added, no drawbacks.

I have the Voigt 90/3.5 SL.2 and never noticed any incompatibility with any Nikon model used
Including Z6ii, Z7ii?  My Z6ii and Z7ii seem to offer no way to use the aperture ring on my AF-S 17-35/2.8D and AF-S 300/4D.  One of life's many small disappointments.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2023, 11:16:06 »
The feature that Nikon hid for so long was removed from the FTZ-adapters. Perhaps even Nikon themselves forgot?

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2023, 04:25:57 »
Have you tried to initialize the camera?  If you can go into the menu, you should be able to do that.
I tried resetting custom settings, is that what you mean? It did not solve the problem :-\

We are about to go on a family holiday next week and I won't be able to get my camera serviced before then. We have an m4/3 camera, iPhone 13 pro, iPhone SE 2, and I'll probably take my FM3a also and shoot some film :o :)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2023, 05:48:17 »
I tried resetting custom settings, is that what you mean? It did not solve the problem :-\

We are about to go on a family holiday next week and I won't be able to get my camera serviced before then. We have an m4/3 camera, iPhone 13 pro, iPhone SE 2, and I'll probably take my FM3a also and shoot some film :o :)

I meant more thorough reset, including the internal timer, but you can just revert the custom settings to the factory default, according to the instruction manual.

After I re-read your second post, I now wonder where the "click" and the "buzz" came from.  I would suspect that the click came from the working shutter unit and the buzz came from the malfunctioning mirror/aperture lever mechanism.

I hope your m4/3 camera and iPhones to work properly and you to enjoy your shooting with films...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2023, 07:53:11 »
Thank you, I am looking forward to using my FM3a, I still think it is one of the best cameras ever made.

I concur with your thoughts on the click and buzz. But it is more than the reflex mirror not working - no image is recorded - not even a blank image - which suggests a deeper problem.

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2023, 09:57:00 »
The feature that Nikon hid for so long was removed from the FTZ-adapters. Perhaps even Nikon themselves forgot?
Yet another opportunity for a third party manufacturer to resolve, but only if the interest is there. I for one, would be very interested in an after-market FTZ compatible adapter that would communicate with the ring adapter on legacy primes. (I'm running low on those little dental rubber bands I employ to use old lenses in pre-set mode. Works a treat, though!)

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2023, 08:09:32 »
I got a repair quote from the official Nikon repairer, summarised here:

Dismantle camera, Remove, replace mirror drive assembly and parts as required. Updated Firmware.
Reassemble, recalibrate and check.

Parts, Labour, Shipping, Tax: $593.25 NZD
I had a quick look on eBay, I can buy good used D600 or D610 for not a lot more. I have been thinking of replacing my D600 with a better camera. If I repair and sell I might be able to get a bit more in the local market, but I won't get a lot of change out of it after the repair. I wonder if my camera is worth repairing?

Oh, and my return to film with my FM3a was not a complete success either. I shot some rolls of Provia 100F and Kodak E100, but even the largest professional processor here in NZ does not process enough E6 film for their chemicals to be fresh - what should be deep blacks turned into a dark reddish brown :( Luckily only some frames were badly affected.