Author Topic: I just erased my iMac  (Read 1574 times)

Ian Watson

• NG Supporter
I just erased my iMac
« on: June 09, 2023, 16:00:56 »
It was done deliberately because I’m taking it to a technician to have the internal SSD replaced with a bigger one. (I have one of the last where this is possible.) It has been backed up thoroughly and, logically, restoring everything on the new drive will be easy. Emotionally, I feel as though I’ve just deleted all of my photographs.

A cup of tea is in order.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: I just erased my iMac
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 17:57:31 »
Lowering your shoulders will make the cup of tea even more delicious :)

Plus, unless everything on the old SSD is deleted, photos are just files that can be copied back to the new drive.

Ian Watson

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 20:42:05 »
Thank you, Birna  :)

I did delete the old SSD because I would not have the chance to do it later. It was backed up to two other places using Carbon Copy Cloner. The Migration Assistant can use these backups to restore everything. Hence the difference of opinion between reason and emotion.

As it turned out, the technician did a great job of destroying my confidence in his abilities and the quote went considerably higher once he understood the actual task. So I will restore the original drive and look at some external ones.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 22:05:39 »
If I understand correctly, the data backed up in two different places still remain intact?  Then it should be of no problem?  Hope you can retrieve the data and peace of mind...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 22:50:23 »
I don't understand why the procedure is dangerous at all? I do upgrade to bigger SSD disks on several installations every year on various PCs.

Always keep the original disk unchanged as a fallback. Attach a label to indicate its origin and store in a safe space.

I just use migration software to clone everything to the new drive, plus expand any file system to the bigger volume. It's really a breeze and certainly not worth paying anyone to do it for you? Migration software isn't that expensive either and can be used many many times over.

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2023, 17:11:06 »
if you have a Time Machine backup on a separate drive (external of some sort, SSD is fastest) then easy. Also I alway encrypt the entire drive so that when you wipe/reformat it will throw away the key and the drive will be unreadable relative to previously stored data.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Ian Watson

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2023, 20:50:37 »
My iMac's internal SSD is now fully restored. It was the first time that I've done it; I will be far less anxious next time.

Birna, what I wanted to pay to have done was replacing the internal SSD with a bigger one. Apple hangs it from a string and then builds the iMac around it. Since the technician (Apple-trained, no less) did a great job of destroying my confidence in him, I now have to decide if I want to tackle the job myself or just buy a couple of fast external drives.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2023, 07:54:08 »
There's a bunch of videos or written step-by-step instructions on the Web for taking apart your iMac.

Just search "iMac disassembly" or "iMac teardown" and you'll find all the relatiuve material.

You might be needing specialized screwdrivers (the pentalobe type comes to mind), suction cups, plastic spudgers, ...

Follow what's in the videos, and if you feel at a certain point that it gets too complicated you can retrace your steps to restore your computer to its initial state.

Take your time, shoot relevant photos of the process, store the screws with a numbering method. It's not much more difficult than tearing down a camera...

Ciao from Massimo

Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Ian Watson

• NG Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2023, 16:36:46 »
Thanks for the encouragement, Massimo. It is just what I need.

The new SSD was supplied by OWC and came with a kit containing all the necessary tools. They even have a good video. Removing the screen seems to be the hard part. After that it is just a bunch of screws and fiddly connectors.

What is the worst that can happen? I need to buy a new computer?  ;D

I'm going to do it. On an afternoon when my children are not here to "help."

janvaran

• NG Supporter
  • I am
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2023, 20:23:25 »
Check out tutorials at https://www.ifixit.com/
They have some really good walkthroughs.

Good luck
/Jan

Ian Watson

• NG Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2023, 01:36:48 »
I was so close to a tale of triumph. Then the screen cracked while I was trying to reattach it  :o  :-[

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2023, 05:43:06 »
My condolences for your bad luck.  By 'screen' did you mean the cover glass or the LCD display? Check the availability of new or used replacement screens/glass.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Ian Watson

• NG Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2023, 15:36:30 »
Thanks, Keith. It looks like just the glass. I’m going to make the trek to a proper Apple Store later and see what they say.

Ian Watson

• NG Supporter
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2023, 20:05:23 »
Apparently the glass is bonded to the display at the factory. So the whole unit needs to be replaced. That will be CAD$1044, including installation.

Ouch.

On the bright side, that’s still much cheaper than a new Mac.

Profit from my example, friends. If you think that you need to remove the screen on an iMac then just take it to Apple.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2023, 09:10:31 »
I know with iPhone screens, a trip to a non-Apple store, can be beneficial - especially with older models that Apple don't so actively support anymore.  In the case of my iPhone, about $A50 versus $A400 for a fully installed replacement screen.  So far the non-genuine item has worked well.

So at $C1,044 per screen from Apple, such a trip could be worth trying if this is an option for you.

Thanks, Keith. It looks like just the glass. I’m going to make the trek to a proper Apple Store later and see what they say.
Hugh Gunn