Author Topic: Warning to owners of Viltrox and other third-party Z lenses  (Read 2025 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Warning to owners of Viltrox and other third-party Z lenses
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2023, 11:22:20 »
USB-C to the lens.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2023, 12:21:29 »
I have both (FTZ, FTZII) and the Sigma ART 20+35F1.4 and had no problems from day one. No FW-Updates required on both sides...

Didn't try all the possible combinations in my possession (Z7, Z6, Zfc), issues emerged on the only one I tried: Z7

Will try the Zfc fo sure

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2023, 14:19:17 »
The Viltrox team apparently already has solved the issues created by Nikon's latest firmware upgrade .... I just downloaded their firmware update for my Viltrox lenses. That was responsive action :)

I'm just curious Birna.
For Viltrox to reverse engineer the lens mount & electronics is one thing.
Are you saying they have also created their version of the Nikon firmware to deal with Nikon's other changes?

On the one hand I'm surprised - on the other it indicates Viltrox aren't worried about Nikon getting upset.
(I've no idea whether firmware is normally protected by copyright in the same way "mainstream software" is)

Glad you got your Nikon/Viltrox combos working again :)

Stephan

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon since 1977
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2023, 15:06:13 »
Didn't try all the possible combinations in my possession (Z7, Z6, Zfc), issues emerged on the only one I tried: Z7

Will try the Zfc fo sure

Ciao from Massimo

Sorry, forgot to mention the cameras: Z7 and Z50

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2023, 18:45:29 »
For Viltrox to reverse engineer the lens mount & electronics is one thing.
On the one hand I'm surprised - on the other it indicates Viltrox aren't worried about Nikon getting upset.
(I've no idea whether firmware is normally protected by copyright in the same way "mainstream software" is)

In my past work as an IT professional, sometimes I've snooped over source code at the machine level...

Even the act of snooping over code is sanctioned by law in some jurisdictions.

I remember there was a court case between two of the big IT companies, don't remember exactly which ones but it was companies of the size and power of Apple and Microsoft.

One company had given its IT engineers the task to duplicate the work of a peripheral, but to avoid any copyright infringement they only gave them the specs: it should do this and that, and that and also that, ... No source code given. Naturally they had decompiled the software (to have an exhaustive spec list), but it's impossible to prove they did it... The engineers had to reinvent all the inner workings of the firmware, and of course their implementation did not duplicate the competitor's. Only functionally equal, but the inner workings were different. Still, there was quarrelling over copyright infringement... In the end, court salomonically decided its inability to rule and to prove anyhing conclusive, no refund given to anyone, each company had to pay its own legal expenses...

Possibly the reason why Nikon is not acting (or reluctant to act legally) is because a legal action between Japan and China is goiing to be an endless war, with only expenses and no real winner.

Ciao from Massimo

Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2023, 19:05:36 »
Sorry, forgot to mention the cameras: Z7 and Z50

Done the testing, here are the results:

Cameras: Zfc with latest FW (v.1.40), Z6 with latest FW (v.3.50),  Z7 with latest FW (v.3.50); FTZ with latest FW (v.1.10)

Zfc and Z6 with Sigma ART 24mm/1.4 and FTZ: AF works

Z6 with Sigma ART 35mm/1.4 and FTZ: AF works

Zfc with Sigma ART 35mm/1.4 and FTZ: AF does not work

Z7 with Sigma ART 35mm/1.4 or 24mm/1.4 and FTZ: AF does not work

my Sigma ART lenses + NFZ work on all my Nikon Z bodies

The reported FW version from NFZ is: v.1.10

Haven't looked what FW version is installed in the 35mm/1.4, I have the USB base for programming the lens, maybe I'll look up if there's a FW upgrade.

Ciao from Massimo

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2023, 19:16:12 »
Viltrox only listed "camera compatibility" as the reason for their firmware upgrade. Thus I suspect they had discovered what Nikon changed, and made the required counter measures.

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2023, 14:34:03 »
Done the testing, here are the results:

my Sigma ART lenses + NFZ work on all my Nikon Z bodies

The reported FW version from NFZ is: v.1.10

Haven't looked what FW version is installed in the 35mm/1.4, I have the USB base for programming the lens, maybe I'll look up if there's a FW upgrade.

Ciao from Massimo

Have you noticed any performance differences with the FTZ vs NFZ? am thinking of getting a second adaptor but with a tripod collar similar to FTZ 1.

Keep shooting,
Bern

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2023, 16:23:57 »
Updated the Viltrox 13mm f/1.4 with firmware 1.03 the Nikon Z fc doesnt recognize the lens nor does it shutter release have no problems with Viltrox 23/1.4 nor 56/1.4. I should try downgrading the firmware on the Z fc to 1.30!
Must be a way to downgrade firmware? Actually lens does work on the z7_2 with the latest firmware 1.5.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2023, 16:42:20 »
My bad sorry noticed there is new firmware, 1.04, for the viltrox 13/1.4, OK now!

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2023, 17:41:10 »
Have you noticed any performance differences with the FTZ vs NFZ? am thinking of getting a second adaptor but with a tripod collar similar to FTZ 1.

The performance differences are obvious:
with NFZ all my lenses work, unlike with FTZ (see previous messages)
NFZ weighs 10 grams more than FTZ-1 (with caps, 155g vs 145g), possibly on account of a very effective black velvet lining inside the tube which completely blocks internal reflections.

BTW, NFZ has a tripod collar like FTZ-1, and a flat base like FTZ-1

Ciao from Massimo