Author Topic: Hello, I am Don  (Read 2788 times)

DonGiles

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Hello, I am Don
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2023, 01:46:54 »
Thank you.
Honestly... I have been in a slump for the past 13 years or so.
This is the first time in a long while I feel the bug starting to bite again. Slumps are ok, I have continued to work and even have full exhibits during these periods, but it felt different. Actually, it did not feel at all, it was just a process to achieve the goal. So anyhow, the feeling is starting to come back.
I have decided to give myself a project, that always helps get one out of a slump.
I am buying cheap Series E manual focus primes 50, 100, 135 to dedicate to a Df body to only black and white (or at least with the only intent being black and white). I am thinking tripod only, thoughtful but, odd photography.
What do you all think?

Don

ps, thanks for letting me ramble.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2023, 09:12:23 »
Any particular reason to choose series E lenses?

I would suggest to get a bit more flexibility with more distance between the focal lengths:

28mm 50mm 135mm or  35mm 50mm 100mm
But by far I would highly recommend a set of Ais f/2.8 28mm and the Micro-nikkor 55mm and any one of the 105mm IMHO it would be much more the rendering I see in your work.
Enjoy!
Erik Lund

DonGiles

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2023, 16:40:00 »
Hi Erik,

I am just looking for something different, funky and fun.  I want to explore the Series E lenses to discover their strengths and exploit their weaknesses.
I have all the "good" stuff any man could ask for, but I see something in those old single coated optics, a warmth maybe? Delicate but sharp, somewhat glowing at times...
I could be all wrong, but it will be fun for me to find out.

Don

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2023, 01:55:26 »
I second Erik's opinion on reconsidering using E lenses. The cost was saved in construction, not because they were optically all that different. There are plenty of AI lenses which are cheap and have more interesting characteristics AND are well built.

DonGiles

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2023, 02:19:05 »
If I may, what would be your picks to look for in AiS lenses?
Thank you, Jack.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2023, 15:43:23 »
Any of the 105mm lenses are interesting. Many of the fast lenses are interesting as their character changes dramatically over the range of aperture.

Read through the lens subforum here to get an idea of different looks available, or even the daily post subforum. People here tend to use a wide variety of lenses.

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2023, 15:51:48 »
You didn't ask me but I'll toss out some of my favorites in the AI, AI-S family.

24/2.8--I love this lens.  I own several.  Just a solid good lens.
35/2--A most useful lens in a wide-normal. 
50/1.8 AI-S "Long Nose"--ALL Nikon 50mm lenses are winners.  This one has become my favorite.  The pancake is too small for me.
105/2.5--About as good a portrait lens as they come.  I don't use it for that, I use it as a long normal.
135/2.8 AI-S--It's not much bigger than the 105 but has more "horsepower".

As usual, my opinion.  (We all love to share our opinions, don't we. ;D )
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2023, 16:43:30 »
If you're doing portraits and the like indoors, I might add some version of the old 85/1.8.  I have a pre-AI version of that which was pretty cheap, and it was always a lovely portrait lens.  A bit long on DX, but on FX it was just right when you couldn't get far enough away for a 105. 

One of my favorite old-fashioned lenses is the 200/F4 Q.  I have two of the oldest style, roughly converted by others to AI compatibility, landing in the bargain bin.  I got a second one because it was cheaper than relubricating the focus threads on the old one!   They do not focus close, but have lovely bokeh and are unfazed by extension tubes.

DonGiles

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2023, 02:55:16 »
Thank you all for your suggestions!
Other than some Series E lenses, I did order a 105 f2.5 ais, and a 25-50 f4 ais. Both examples are a little beat up, but let's see how they image!
Does anyone have any East Coast shop ideas that specialize in ais lenses? Tune-ups, cla, etc...

Thank you,
Don

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2023, 05:29:26 »
Thank you all for your suggestions!
Other than some Series E lenses, I did order a 105 f2.5 ais, and a 25-50 f4 ais. Both examples are a little beat up, but let's see how they image!
Does anyone have any East Coast shop ideas that specialize in ais lenses? Tune-ups, cla, etc...

Thank you,
Don
Depending on where you are, perhaps, my go-to place is Vermont Camera Works, in Pittsford, VT.  They do mail order.  Dave, the camera guy, has a lot of experience with older Nikon stuff. They (family business) do mail order and quotes.  There's a fairly decent collection of old Nikon glass too on their website.

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2023, 14:39:29 »
Those are two great lenses, Don.  I've been using the 25-50 a good bit recently and I'm reminded of how nicely the results look.  I think you'll be happy with those choices.
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2023, 15:33:03 »
The 25-50 f/4 is a great lens.  It pairs excellent with the AiS 50-135mm f/3.5 which is one of the best of Nikon's midzoom lenses.

DonGiles

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2023, 03:34:59 »
Thank you all for you kindness, and the warm welcome!
I feel at home, with friends already.
Here is a quickie off my fire escape
Df 70-210 F4 Series E

Don

DonGiles

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2023, 18:55:00 »
D850 Zeiss 100 F2

Don

DonGiles