Author Topic: AF-s Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6 G not auto focusing on a D5600  (Read 735 times)

steelslicer

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
I bought the lens used from a reputable store, unfortunately I had to put it aside and was past the return window when I tried it. I have the 18-55mm and 70-300mm kit lenses that came with the body and they work fine. When I turn the VR switch on, the indicator shows on the monitor, but no matter what, the only way to focus is manual. Anyone have any ideas?

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
Re: AF-s Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6 G not auto focusing on a D5600
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 22:49:59 »
I think it is due to the lack of screwdriver motor for AF. See>

https://radojuva.com/en/2013/06/nikon-24-120-mm-af-d-nikkor/

My mistake! I didn’t notice yours is a G.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

fish_shooter

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Salmonography.com
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 03:05:15 »
I have the variable aperture, G and VR version of the 24-120 as well and just looked at the lens off the 7100 it is attached - no screw drive so this lens should AF on your body. Make sure the AF on switch on the lens is on - switch is near the VR switch. As well read through your instructions on how to turn the AF off to make sure it is not off in the camera (I do not have this model so cannot say).

steelslicer

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2023, 12:07:31 »
Appreciate the responses. I finally had enough time to sit down and study this, but can't find a solution. I checked the settings in the camera menu, worked the AF switch back and forth to make sure it was making contact (as far as I could tell), switched from AF-S and AF-C but still no luck. Using the manual focus I get nice images, so I guess I will have to live with it.

Gone

• NG Member
  • No longer wish to be ignored
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2023, 16:01:10 »
Make sure the lens contacts are clean and evenly protruding from the plastic carrier - a bad contact here will stop AF.

Additionally the focus motors in these lenses are prone to seizing up over time - you can try to free it by  moving the manual focus ring gently back and forth with the lens switch in autofocus setting.

steelslicer

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2023, 22:16:59 »
Make sure the lens contacts are clean and evenly protruding from the plastic carrier - a bad contact here will stop AF.

Additionally the focus motors in these lenses are prone to seizing up over time - you can try to free it by  moving the manual focus ring gently back and forth with the lens switch in autofocus setting.

I did check all the pins, they were all up and free to move up and down. When the lens is in autofocus, there is no resistance in the focus ring, so that makes me think something is broken. Anyway, I initiated a service ticket and it's been sent to the service center. I appreciate everyone's help.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2023, 20:39:38 »
Does the AF indicators work?
If you use AF-points then if CPU works then when focused manually then the square indicators should indicate when focus is spot-on.
If it does then the camera can recognize the lens. Also the EXIF should indicate this so aperture, focal length etc. are indicated?

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2023, 12:12:02 »
A couple additional things you can try:
  • borrow one or more Nikon bodies from friend(s) and try your lens on them
  • Clean lens and body contacts with a cotton swab and alcohol, preferably isopropyl alcohol

Since you say that your camera does AF with your other lenses, I'll assume that the menu configuration is correct, and you don't need to review it. I would concentrate on the camera/lens communication, trying more bodies, and cleaning the contacts. If still there's a no-go situation, it's probably the motor that's dead...

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.