Author Topic: camera bag  (Read 26724 times)

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
Re: camera bag
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2015, 08:11:57 »
Andreas, wow, that multi trolley looks perfect for an old guy like myself.   Even when I take the heavy gear to the Lake I have to make 3  trips back to the jeep ( about 100 mtrs up hill) to get everything , including my fold up camp chair, set up.  This trolley looks a single trip down hill and one up hill  ;) .  Now to work out the least expensive way to get it to India.  Funny, Indian Customs and Excise can be really funny when you import something they have never seen or heard of.  Trying to get a small, propane Bar-B-Q (no bottle), through customs was a real experience  ;)

Shame I did not know about this when my wife and son went to Italy in June.  They were flying Business Class and as Frequent Fliers .   Lots of spare weight for bags :( .
Many thanks,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2015, 09:45:08 »
Gura Gear and Thinktank seem to be making useful bags that aren't weighed down with a ton of padding and heavy materials.

Hi Peter, thanks so much for your tip to check out Gura Gear.
The CHOBE 19-24L is the best bag that I have seen ever. It is almost exactly what I was looking for. I knew that a distinguished member of NG would ease my endless search!
Two handles for carrying, plenty of space for gear, no-flaps-knee-rests-pillows-rain-covers, space for a laptop too, multi-purpose, airline friendly, and the most important part of the entire equation is that I would proudly carry the bag on my shoulder and be seen by any donkey in the world :)

Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2015, 17:07:20 »
Ha, didn't know Gura Gear also made a messenger style bag, that Chobe 19-24L does indeed look very very interesting and might be a suitable replacement for my aging Billingham Headly Pro.

I have the original Gura Gear Kiboko backpack since the 2009 NG safari that their attention to detail, used materials and usability in the field is nothing like I have seen before.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2015, 17:49:04 »
Jakov: Funny how taste differs, I personally don't think that Gura Gear is pretty (I don't think it is ugly either), I much prefer the look of the Domke bags. 

My walkaround bag is this one: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/retrospective-10-pinestone-shoulder-bag.aspx
Jørgen Ramskov

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2015, 19:05:45 »
These guys have the real sand wheels, but it appears you'd be dealing with Indian Customs again.
http://www.wheeleez.com
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2015, 20:00:54 »
Ha, didn't know Gura Gear also made a messenger style bag, that Chobe 19-24L does indeed look very very interesting and might be a suitable replacement for my aging Billingham Headly Pro.

I have the original Gura Gear Kiboko backpack since the 2009 NG safari that their attention to detail, used materials and usability in the field is nothing like I have seen before.

I am glad you like it Jan Anne. And I am even more glad that you like the quality of Gura Gear. I haven't yet decided to buy (Ortieb's fault) but it's on top of the list thus far.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2015, 20:12:10 »
Jakov: Funny how taste differs, I personally don't think that Gura Gear is pretty (I don't think it is ugly either), I much prefer the look of the Domke bags. 

My walkaround bag is this one: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/retrospective-10-pinestone-shoulder-bag.aspx

Jørgen, I am not surprised that you like Domke and Billingham as the majority of the world's photo community probably does.
De gustibus non est disputandum - Taste is not for discussion :)
Your Thinktank is nice, but it doesn't have two handles and it has a flap...
I saw other Thinktank Urban Disguise bags that look also nice, but have a peculiar flap on the front side of the bag, to which I don't know the purpose?

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2015, 02:20:20 »

Best use for those ThinkTank flaps (from the mover 5 and 10 bag)   ;D

Øivind Tøien

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2015, 02:30:50 »
Øivind, I see you are also thrilled with flaps :D

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2015, 04:13:30 »
These guys have the real sand wheels, but it appears you'd be dealing with Indian Customs again.
http://www.wheeleez.com
Keith, those are some wheels!  It will probably be easier for me to get the Multi Cart from Germany since my wife is heading for the UK in October.

This guy actually brought his 'Buggy' , and a ton of gear, overland from Russia a couple of years ago .  He leaves all of it in Goa year round. Several Kites, a big Paddle Board and the buggy.

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/data/11779/D3S_3390.jpg
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/data/12399/D30_1727.jpg
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/data/500/D30_1778.jpg
Many thanks,

Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2015, 05:44:15 »
Øivind, I see you are also thrilled with flaps :D
;D ;D ;D
Øivind Tøien

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2015, 09:25:37 »

Jørgen, I am not surprised that you like Domke and Billingham as the majority of the world's photo community probably does.
I saw other Thinktank Urban Disguise bags that look also nice, but have a peculiar flap on the front side of the bag, to which I don't know the purpose?

It's got 1 handle and a shoulder strap. Not sure where you'd place the second handle? The flap is the only cover the bag have, they could use a couple of zippers instead but I actually think this is an easier way to enter the bag. It closes with velcro, which is noisy, but you can silence the velcro if needed.
Jørgen Ramskov

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2015, 09:36:25 »
I just acquired a new camera bag. Make is "Madame Heliose"
as designer and La Marelle as manufacturer.

with all lenses and bodies it is on the heavy side and not good
 for rainy days either.

but it doubles as a bucket if you need to transport water...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2015, 11:26:04 »
Is it the nice blue one on the left?....  :o
Erik Lund

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2015, 11:34:39 »

It's got 1 handle and a shoulder strap. Not sure where you'd place the second handle? The flap is the only cover the bag have, they could use a couple of zippers instead but I actually think this is an easier way to enter the bag. It closes with velcro, which is noisy, but you can silence the velcro if needed.

Jørgen, you cannot place a second handle on a bag if it has a flap. Even the one handle on the flap is in my experience uncomfortable to carry. I have bags with flaps, one with velcro (Crumpler) the other with awkward buttons (Lowepro). Both bags are quality bags. Plenty of space, excellent protection, adjustable padding, pockets for bits and pieces, they even look nice. Everything is fine until you start carrying them :) And I am not complaining about the weight, and that is not the bag's fault after-all. I hear people complaining about a bag because it's heavy. Well, you loaded it :)
I am purely talking about a bag to carry in the field, to work, a day trip, or whatever else. I suppose that I should go for a rucksack if I am into carrying it comfortably in the field...