Author Topic: Z6ii and special old glass  (Read 746 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Z6ii and special old glass
« on: February 07, 2023, 23:47:01 »
A few contributions regarding the Z6ii in combination with Reflex Nikkor 500C or older PC lenses.

I got the 500/8C in mint condition from a retiring colleague who also moved to a new home at the same time. He used that lens in the eighties in combination with a FE2.

On Df, it was barely usable ; even with a monopod, setting the focus with that perpetuum mobile in the OVF was painful. Using reflex lenses on the stabilized OM-D was slightly better, but with the 1000mm "perceived" FL and the limited high ISO capabilities of the m43 system, the situation was hopeless.

On Z6ii, the stabilizer works decently. I used the 500/8 C handheld without any armrest, and on fixed subjects, focussing is best done using magnification (focus peaking is not precise enough). With magnification on, the image in the OVF is still shaky, but precisely setting the focus remains possible. Also, the EVF has suitable luminosity.

Bottom line, usability of the reflex Nikkor is increased, but I still prefer the 300 PF, despite the lower magnification, from every point of view (contrast, sharpness, ease of focussing, bokeh of course, vignetting...). The 500/8 C is usable though. Here are a few examples.
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: Z6ii and special old glass
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 23:48:01 »
and some more
Airy Magnien

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 00:45:49 »
Nicely done.

I have found it usable on a Z6ii with a 1.4 tc, but only on a monopod.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 07:01:26 »
To boot … with the tc I found it be a wonderful semi macro lens. In fact I was more comfortable using it for close up abstracts than telephoto work.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 07:13:13 »
The images look sharp and contrasty enough at least viewed in the originally posted size.  Judging from the subjects, the 500/8.0 Reflex could be an unorthodox street photography lens.

Personally, a 300mm is the longest focal length I could hand-hold without being suffocated.   :o
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 07:53:24 »
These images are fine. The Reflex Nikkors get a  better life on the Z's because it is much easier to get them into focus.