Author Topic: How to clean a print head  (Read 546 times)

Ian Watson

• NG Supporter
How to clean a print head
« on: December 27, 2022, 03:07:05 »
My Canon Pixma Pro-10 printer is around seven years old. Despite seeing irregular amateur use, it has continued to function quite happily with only normal cleaning via the Canon utility software when I rouse it from months-long slumber. Right until two days before Christmas when I wanted to make a couple of prints as gifts. The photo black ink was horribly clogged and did not improve with several cycles of what the software calls "deep cleaning."

With no time to use a printing service and worry about it later, I headed straight to the internet and eventually found this video that explains how to clean a print head using only water. It worked. Despite restricting the soaking phase to a couple of hours so I could dry the print head overnight, my printer is working as well as ever.

https://youtu.be/pEkKGBUSwNg

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: How to clean a print head
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 06:47:48 »
Thank You!

I was given a similar Canon printer. I have a friend I'd like to give this printer to but I must have it working before I give it to her, I just watched the video and I'll follow the steps. Wish me luck!

Best,

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: How to clean a print head
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 16:44:41 »
I saw a similar video on doing an HP printer, and it worked on mine, once. Unfortunately, not twice, as the printer kept rejecting ink cartridges and would not print at all if it failed to detect any, and I tossed it in favor of a printer that takes ink in bottles.   I may not have done a good enough job keeping water out of the electronic contacts, but in any case, its definitely worth trying.