Author Topic: 500 PF lens cap  (Read 667 times)

stevefmt

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
500 PF lens cap
« on: December 05, 2022, 15:17:10 »
I lost my lens cap.  I notice two 95mm caps listed:

#4149 (B&H #NILC95)
#4271 (B&H #NILC95B)

They will likely both fit but any comments on which is sturdier/best fit/won't fall off/etc.

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
Re: 500 PF lens cap
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 00:06:47 »

#4149 (B&H #NILC95)
#4271 (B&H #NILC95B)

They will likely both fit but any comments on which is sturdier/best fit/won't fall off/etc.

I found only 1 reference in Europe i.e. LC-95. Have this lens since it’s inception; made about 35k pictures with; never lost a lens cap, despite sporty working environment.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 00:41:07 »
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 21:57:24 »

#4149 (B&H #NILC95)
#4271 (B&H #NILC95B)

Both caps have the same pinch mechanism.

The difference is the NIKON logo, which is coated with silver enamel in F-series caps (such as the LC-95), and is left in black in the Z-series cap (deep engraving, less visible, easier to lose in high grass or such, but less likely to be noticed by burglars). Some people even put a piece of black tape on the traditional LC-95

No difference in strength or ability to clip onto the lens threads.

If you're particularly unlucky and bump either cap against an obstacle at a particular angle, it will go flying even quite far away (the loaded springs act as a catapult).

Can be mitigated by always having a lens hood on, but then you would keep the cap in a pocket (cumbersome to remove the cap with the hood on).

Ciao from Massimo

Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 00:27:21 »
If you're particularly unlucky and bump either cap against an obstacle at a particular angle, it will go flying even quite far away (the loaded springs act as a catapult).

The very things happened a couple of times with my Sigma lens cap which has a very tactile pinch levers.  Now I use a Nikon lens cap with smoother levers.   8)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira