Author Topic: How Good Are Authorized Nikon Repair Centers?  (Read 1024 times)

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
How Good Are Authorized Nikon Repair Centers?
« on: November 05, 2022, 22:32:21 »
I own a Z6 digital camera.   So far it's worked perfectly.

I have read that some camera companies have either shut down or reduced capabilities at their camera repair centers.

I hear that Sony repairs are fast and high quality.  I have personal experience with Pentax's only USA authorized repair center - I was not impressed.

What's been your experience with Nikon repair centers lately?   How do they compare with others you have used for other camera brands?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: How Good Are Authorized Nikon Repair Centers?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 22:55:36 »
FotoCare in Oslo, Norway provides excellent service as far as my experience goes. I think they are the only Nikon authorised repair facility in the country, but as I'm located in that region I haven't investigated other alternatives.

Under NPS I have had excellent service from Nikon repair centres in Prague and Cape Town.

Ian Watson

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 05:06:18 »
I have no experience with Nikon Canada. My Z6 is the first camera that I have bought new and it is working perfectly.

My experience with other companies is limited to independents. In the US I would have no reservations in recommending APS: Authorized Photo Service.

https://www.nikoncamerarepair.com

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 07:32:12 »
In the last years, I encountered 3 problems which needed an intervention of Nikon Switzerland: (1) continuous generating of dust particles with a new D4s (a bit like the D600 “syndrome”); (2) Nikkor TC-20E III: index came loose; (3) Nikon D850: body was generating error codes, which could be fixed by dismounting and mounting the lens again and again.

Problems (2) and (3) were handled promptly; for (1), however, it needed some serious hand twisting before they recognized the problem, and replaced the whole shutter mechanism. What is painful with Nikon, is their NEVER ADMIT GUILT policy. Each time I had to investigate what has exactly been done. For the D4s dust problem, the only mention I had on the repair sheet was “sensor cleaned”; months later, I encountered fortuitously a Nikon technician who knew my case, and told me about the shutter replacement; for the D850: sole mention: “verified”. My NPS representative investigated the latter case, and told me that they had to fasten the screws of the mounting base.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 11:43:35 »
I've mostly had good experiences with Nikon authorized repair in Finland. There was one instance where a flash died by being not used for a time and they "repaired" it for a substantially high cost, yet the "repaired" flash failed the first time I used it in a shoot. The repair facility claimed it was a new flaw with a broken internal cable and wanted to charge almost the new price of the flash (again). I objected and noted the flash had not been used since the repair and how could I have broken internal cables inside a flash by the flash sitting a couple of months in its case in a closet? The issue was resolved by Nikon who intervened and gave me a new flash.

However, in all other cases that I can recall, repairs have been performed without complaint.

Robert Camfield

• NG Member
  • Hello from MadTown
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 00:29:42 »
Bruce,

My experience with Nikon repair in the U.S. over the years involves two events, both of which were positive. Repairs including a software problem with a D600 were completed promptly. While Nikon could have provided more complete communication with respect to details of the issues, the service was good.

Robert 

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 03:08:52 »
Nikon Japan (Shinjuku) - excellent  :o :o :o

Nikon Thailand - reportedly very good

Nikon Taiwan - reportedly very good

Nikon Canada - having seen how things work here, I have very low expectations ::)

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 06:35:35 »
Hi Richard - good to see you posting.  I hope that your relocation to Canada has not been too traumatic for you and your family.

Camera Clinic in Melbourne, was excellent, but alas after 50 years of exemplary service they fell to post-COVID pressures and closed their doors at the start of April this year.  So very sad.

Nikon Canada - having seen how things work here, I have very low expectations ::)
Hugh Gunn

Hans_S

• NG Member
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2022, 03:34:39 »
Oh no...Camera Clinic was a prime example of everything a maintenance organisation should be. Technical excellence, rapid turnarounds and friendly, communicative staff. Even when they were only front-ending Nikon Sydney recalls they would phone (unprompted) to update re timelines. My first experience with then was in the early 80's when they rebuilt the FUBAR shutter in my F2AS.

Camera Clinic in Melbourne, was excellent, but alas after 50 years of excemptlary service they fell to post-COVID pressures and closed their doors at the start of April this year.  So very sad.
Hans Schepers

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2022, 05:58:06 »

I've had only bad experiences with Nikon Japan in Shinjuku, unfortunately.  I used to go to Ginza branch for repairs.  Now that the Ginza branch is merged to Shinjuku HQ, and I haven't used Nikon cameras for several years, I'm not sure about the quality of the repair through the Shinjuku HQ.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2022, 21:07:23 »
I have been well treated by Nikon Service center and NPS here in Denmark the few times that has been needed over the last 30 years
Erik Lund