Author Topic: [Mushroom IDs please] we found a diversity of hopefully edibles today  (Read 1501 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
[Mushroom IDs please] we found a diversity of hopefully edibles today

One: smells heavenly, Saitling of a kind I guess. Grows on wood
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Two: Parasols I guess
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Three: Hexenröhrling I guess. Edible when cooked in butter and salt as far as I know

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Four: Herbsttrompete (deep purple) says my girlfriend

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Five: another of the Saitling family I Guess, grows on soil and wet leaves. Grows in families, cuddling, smells heavenly

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
Three: Hexenröhrling I guess. Edible when cooked in butter and salt as far as I know

Should be Boletus erythropus, should be cooked at high temperatures because it contains a toxin which is inactivated by temperatures above 70°C. Frying should do it, please keep the slices thin so the entire body is exposed to high temperatures.

One of the features is that upon cutting, the flesh turns a bluish green (NOT a sign of poison , many edible mushrooms exhibit such behaviour).

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
Two: Parasols I guess

The distinguishing factor here is size, many "parasol" type mushrooms are poisonous, and they are small to medium size. The good one (Lepiota procera) is huge in size, reaching up to 30 cm in height and a diameter up to 20-22 cm. The big ones are safe, avoid small size ones.

We eliminate the coriaceous stem and fry the cap like a Wiener Schnitzel, after a generous *double* coating with egg and grated bread ("chapelure" in french, "panatura" in italian)

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
Five: another of the Saitling family I Guess, grows on soil and wet leaves. Grows in families, cuddling, smells heavenly

I would avoid #5, because it can be confused with similar poisonous mushrooms with long stems and living in families. It's like medicine over the phone, you can't diagnose exactly without having the patient in presence...

Ciao from Massimo

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
With respect to your effort to collect all these mushrooms and Massimo's detailed advice, I would never try to eat any mushrooms that are collected by myself in the field.  I only buy mushrooms to eat at groceries.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
With respect to your effort to collect all these mushrooms and Massimo's detailed advice, I would never try to eat any mushrooms that are collected by myself in the field.  I only buy mushrooms to eat at groceries.

That's the correct attitude towards a field where death is behind the corner...

As for my personal case, I grew up in a family where my father was very seriously studying mushrooms, so I picked up the attitude (and the knowledge...). I am 66 years now, I have collected and eaten mushrooms of various kinds (still alive after all...), and I developed a rule, which applies to many other subjects:

The more you know, the more you know how little you know

Ciao from Massimo

Thomas Nielsen

• NG Member
  • Guitars, whisky and bicycles
    • BOGT
Re: [Mushroom IDs please] we found a diversity of hopefully edibles today
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2022, 16:10:43 »
I apologize for budging in like this, but I need to say this.

Don't identify a mushroom from pictures alone. Particularly across greater geographic distances. There are simply too many confusions to be made if you don't take into account details that do not lend themselves to photos, such as spore prints, membrane remnants (collars etc.) and discolouration characteristics, to name but a few. Add to that that some fungi are highly allergenic to some people, disqualifying the "but I have eaten these for years and never took harm" argument.

Okay, end of rant. Carry on and enjoy. After all, [edible] mushrooms taste wonderful (and so do some of the other ones).

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2022, 22:14:23 »
Louis Couperin, 1626-1661, the French composer, organist, clavecinist seems to have succumbed from eating poisonous mushrooms.

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2022, 22:27:24 »
Good suggestions from many of you

That's the correct attitude towards a field where death is behind the corner...

As for my personal case, I grew up in a family where my father was very seriously studying mushrooms, so I picked up the attitude (and the knowledge...

Ahh, things begin to become more clear now Massimo.
I've appreciated your comments and feedback on the other Autumn Creatures photos shared on NG recently.
I envy the culture of so many European countries where knowledge of mushrooms is shared in families and communities so that true understanding can become ingrained.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2022, 09:08:21 »
I apologize for budging in like this, but I need to say this.

Don't identify a mushroom from pictures alone. Particularly across greater geographic distances. There are simply too many confusions to be made if you don't take into account details that do not lend themselves to photos, such as spore prints, membrane remnants (collars etc.) and discolouration characteristics, to name but a few. Add to that that some fungi are highly allergenic to some people, disqualifying the "but I have eaten these for years and never took harm" argument.

Okay, end of rant. Carry on and enjoy. After all, [edible] mushrooms taste wonderful (and so do some of the other ones).

I stand by every word of your statement: doubt should be the leading principle in mushoom collecting, when even the slightest trace of doubt is present, avoid!

Re allergy: my own father discovered the hard way he was allergic to morels (Morchella sp.), one of the few mushrooms that are sold in markets and are generally considered as among the best ones. He was alone in the house... Fortunately he was an MD, and he knew what to do, otherwise a widow and three orphans would have come back from the Harlem Globetrotters' basketball game we had attended. He was not feeling very well that evening, so he skipped the game. He had eaten morels. I decided not to try morels myself, maybe that allergy is genetic.

We saved at least three groups from certain death, they had collected basketfuls of Death Caps (Amanita phalloides), in one instance they said they were penny buns (Boletus edulis), in another instance they said "there were snails feeding on them, they can't be poisonous!". Naturally, snail physiology is different from human's... I wonder what happens if you eat escargot having fed on A.phalloides?

When I gave advice to Frank, caution was always present, and I stressed the fact that identifying a mushroom by a photo is like diagnosing a patient over the phone: simply too many variables to have an accurate diagnose.

Ciao from Massimo

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2022, 10:57:20 »
The more you know, the more you know how little you know

Ciao from Massimo

Glad you are still alive.  It is a word of a sage.

I know far less than a little about mushrooms...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira