Author Topic: Black paint recomendation  (Read 1979 times)

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Black paint recomendation
« on: October 16, 2022, 17:41:21 »
Hi all,

I slipped my hand with the spanner on the retaining ring during my latest overhaling project. Luckily the lens is untouched. However, the ring got two shiny bare metal areas where the paint got stripped. I tried using a permanent marker to mask it but permanent marker ink looks very glossy. Do you have any recommendation on what paint to use?

Ideally that is something easy to find.

I am hopping I can use the same paint to repaint the edges of the objectives as those also got washed away when I dipped them in cleaning solution.

Cheers,
Zang

Gone

• NG Member
  • No longer wish to be ignored
Re: Black paint recomendation
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 19:31:15 »
Touching up the existing paint will almost always be visible - my suggestion is to go to your local motor parts store and buy a can of matt black spray paint, sand the top edge of the ring so it smooth and then give it a couple of coats of matt black paint.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 23:00:46 »
Model paint:

Tamiya 81701 Matt black;
Revell black mat (VE6)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2022, 00:27:47 »
I used flat black VHT Motorcycle Case Paint on enlarger negative carriers and found that it stood up to continuous use over decades. This was on aluminum which is probably what most motorcycle cases are made of. I'm not sure how it would adhere to brass or stainless steel. I would think VHT Case Paint was specifically formulated for use on aluminum.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2022, 06:25:08 »
Touching up the existing paint will almost always be visible - my suggestion is to go to your local motor parts store and buy a can of matt black spray paint, sand the top edge of the ring so it smooth and then give it a couple of coats of matt black paint.

I don't care much about the difference, but the glossy permanent marker ink is a bit reflective. I was hoping the paint can also be used for the objective edges but spray will not work. I'll keep looking for something brush-able. Thanks for the tip.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2022, 06:25:52 »
Model paint:

Tamiya 81701 Matt black;
Revell black mat (VE6)

Thanks, I'll check those. Not sure if they are available here in Canada.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2022, 06:27:09 »
I used flat black VHT Motorcycle Case Paint on enlarger negative carriers and found that it stood up to continuous use over decades. This was on aluminum which is probably what most motorcycle cases are made of. I'm not sure how it would adhere to brass or stainless steel. I would think VHT Case Paint was specifically formulated for use on aluminum.

Dave

Motorbike, gun touch-out paint is a great idea. I see they are available in the US, but not much here in Canada. Will keep looking. Thanks Dave.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2022, 06:35:53 »
Humbrol matt black modellers paint in the little 14ml tinlets has worked for me.  On larger items like the insides of lens hoods and extension tubes, matt blackboard paint is another option.

Model paint:

Tamiya 81701 Matt black;
Revell black mat (VE6)
Hugh Gunn

Gone

• NG Member
  • No longer wish to be ignored
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2022, 11:41:50 »
I don't care much about the difference, but the glossy permanent marker ink is a bit reflective. I was hoping the paint can also be used for the objective edges but spray will not work. I'll keep looking for something brush-able. Thanks for the tip.

You can just spray into the cap and use a brush in the collected paint - being thinner than model paints it will brush on easily.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2022, 06:23:29 »
At the end, I found a small can of rust pain in my garage that says flat. I use a small drop to touch up the bare metal area of the ring and it looks great!

For the objective walls, I actually used the permanent marker. My thinking was, the glass walls are matte ground glass so even though, the marker ink looks shinny on flat surface, it should not be reflective on the objective walls, especially when the light is projected from inside the glass.

The lens is back in one piece. A dirty lens with fungus grown inside turned into a shinny, like new looking lens. This is my first 28mm f2.8 AIS (with CRC) and a quick test yields excellent results! I will need to check and possibly adjust the infinity tomorrow as the last step. Luckily, 28mm has very convenient infinity adjustment that does not require too much of disassembly job.

All in all, I am pretty happy with the project. Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2022, 09:20:13 »
I use this, Humbrol 033 Black Matt it's not reflecting any IR
Erik Lund

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2022, 14:46:07 »
I use this, Humbrol 033 Black Matt it's not reflecting any IR

Thanks Eric. It's a bit too late for me I guess... Is it an enamel or an acrylic paint?

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2022, 15:10:57 »
It's Enamel so long lasting
Erik Lund

Toby

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Toby Marshall
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2022, 11:52:23 »
Best is Musou Black, which absorbs 99.4% of light. Black 3.0 absorbs 97.5%. Vantablack is even better, but costs a fortune.