Author Topic: Nikon NX Studio and the MacBook Pro M1...  (Read 2409 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Nikon NX Studio and the MacBook Pro M1...
« on: October 16, 2022, 00:21:41 »
I'm trying to get on with Nikon NX Studio v1.2.1 (64bit) running on a 16.2" MacBook Pro M1 (Apple Silicon) late 2021, macOS Monterey with Rosetta 2 installed. The MBP is configured with 32GB of RAM and a 2TB SSD. If NX Studio v1.2.1 was compatible with this computer and Monterey with Rosetta 2 install all should be well. It's not. It seems to me that MAC computers have been out long enough that a major camera manufacture should supporting MAC(s) with the M1 CPU(s).

I'm wondering if anyone has advice as to how to get NX Studio v1.2.1 to get on with a MBP M1 running macOS Monterey?

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon NX Studio and the MacBook Pro M1...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 02:41:32 »
Dave
I have 14” Pro 16Gb 1TB M1 - no issue with NX Studio - runs as fast as old 2013 15”
Installed and added Rosetta automatically on initial install.

Only issue is old Pegasus thunderbolt drive is not recognised any more so have no access to previous storage.
Using newer thunderbolt SSD without problem now.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 23:01:11 »
Thank you for your reply. I've uninstalled NX Studio and restarted macOS. Then I use the Terminal command softwareupdate --install-rosetta to make double sure that Rosetta 2 is installed and hopefully not corrupted. I check System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Files and Folders to make sure NX Studio had access to the files and folders it needs access to. NX Studio is running again.

I'm try to find out how to purge all Nikon software from my system as I tried to install Nikon Capture NX-D and found that it crashed repeatedly. I wonder if installing Capture NX-D has caused a problem.

Last night I left my MBP M1 attempting to start NX Studio. The Spinning Ball of Death spun all night and NX Studio never started.

Anyway it's running now but starts slowly then seems to work OK.

Dave

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2022, 00:15:28 »
I found a web page that gave instructions on removing Nikon Transfer 2 completely. On that page there was a list of likely places Nikon related files, caches and preference might be. Here is the list...

/Library
    /Library/Caches
    /Library/Preferences
    /Library/Application Support
    /Library/LaunchAgents
    /Library/LaunchDaemons
    /Library/PreferencePanes
    /Library/StartupItems

I went through the list under my home folder, a second admin's home folder and from the Macintosh HD Library folder. I think I got most everything. I suspect my problems started when I installed Nikon Capture NX-D. Had it crash repeatedly and then uninstalled it. Perhaps some junk was left behind. As mention I reinstalled Rosetta 2 from Terminal using the command Softwareupdate --install-rosetta.

Finally I installed Nikon Transfer 2, Nikon Picture Control Utility 2 and then Nikon NX Studio. Now NX Studio bounces once or twice and starts. I hope it stays this way.

Dave

jag

• NG Supporter
  • I am
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 00:17:01 »
There exists several “uninstaller apps” for macOS. These will search for references to settings and libraries to delete along with the app.
/Jan

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 23:48:18 »
There exists several “uninstaller apps” for macOS. These will search for references to settings and libraries to delete along with the app.

Thank you for the tip.

I have on occasion followed instructions on how to scan visually through the macOS, Library folder looking for caches, databases and helpers to delete these manually. A tool that does a clean uninstall would be a great help.

I'll have a look.

Dave

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 23:51:50 »
I often use appzapper.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2022, 23:59:01 »
Nikon NX Studio seems to grab hold of any file source such as an attached USB flash drive, HDD(s) and SSD(s).. Scanning these extra sources for NEF files takes time and can greatly slow the launch of NX Studio. NX Studio also locks external files sources such as USB Flash drives, [external] HDD(s) and [external] SSD(s).

I wonder about this behavior. I wonder if NX Studio is building a database in the background. Whatever the case, once I cleaned out the bits and pieces of failed ViewNX-i and Capture NX-D from my MacBook Pro M1 and reinstalled Rosetta 2 via the Terminal command line method, NX Studio is working correctly.

Dave

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2022, 23:59:33 »
I often use appzapper.

Thank you!

Dave

jag

• NG Supporter
  • I am
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2022, 16:45:14 »
appcleaner, is the tool I'm using to cleanup apps not need anymore.

BTW.
Nikon NX Studio installed and ran without any problems on my MBP M1, 16".

/Jan
/Jan

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2023, 08:54:12 »
I have used and recommend AppCleaner (by Softonic).  Works great...so far... on my M1 Mac Mini running Ventura OS.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2023, 10:01:07 »
I have used and recommend AppCleaner (by Softonic).  Works great...so far... on my M1 Mac Mini running Ventura OS.

Is there any similar application for Windows? Adobe tools can be removed with the creative cloud cleaner tool.

I have had this problem for a while in using NX Studio. When going to a directory, it can take a very long time before it displays any images in thumbnails. It keeps the CPU at about 10-20% active and just keeps doing apparently nothing. This happens especially after choosing new filtering criteria. Often I am able to bypass the long (indefinite?) wait by clicking on another directory in the directory tree, and then clicking again on the desired directory. Suddenly the thumbnails appear. I was hoping this might be due to something being messed up in the configuration of the application or its files. I deleted the AppData subdirectories related to Nikon, uninstalled NX Studio and reinstalled it. It doesn't seem to have resolved the issue.

I do have a whole bunch of drives (four internal SDD/HDDs and four NAS servers) attached to the computer. I am not willing to give them up just to speed up NX Studio. The software should focus on the requested task and carry it out speedily.