Gear Talk > Other

An unwanted enlarger

<< < (2/2)

Ian Watson:
Thank you all for the thoughts.

Bent, there is not much of a market here. You did trigger the memory of a place in Toronto that keeps film supplies and has quite the assortment of odds-and-ends. I will call them when they open and see if they will give the enlarger a home.

Otherwise I will bite the bullet, take the lens and dispose of the rest.

Dogman, I quite agree! Now we spend our money on computers and printers instead ;)

ColinM:
Back in the 80s I'd have bitten your arm off for this Ian.

I did all my best printing with an old condenser enlarger.
When I briefly flirted with 6x7 & colour, I sold this and got a diffuser design.

It took me a while to work out why I couldn't achieve the same bite & contrast as before :(

Mind you, if your Letiz is diffuser, maybe it wouldn't have helped....

Ian Watson:
Happy news! Downtown Camera in Toronto will take it off my hands. They have a few enlargers that are not selling but they will take a Leitz.

Colin, the Leitz Focomat is a condenser. Mine cost me $50 fifteen years ago.

ColinM:
Sounds like an ideal result Ian.

Ironically it seems to often be people in their 20s using film & doing their own printing now.
I guess for some of us who've done it once before the novelty has gone.
I do miss what Selenium toner used to be able to do & the slight peril of using it in a spare bedroom/darkroom!

Matthew Currie:
I had a big old Omega enlarger, gotten from some junk pile, with only half its condensers, and for a lark I took the top off, and left the one condenser lens in place, and fitted the lens board with a Nikon mount made from an old T adapter.  The result was a surprisingly amusing monster lens.  A rough estimate was that it was about a 200 mm F 2+ singlet capable of macro focusing.  The chromatic aberration was surreal, but it actually became tolerably sharp when stopped down (with construction paper waterhouse stops).  I gave it to one of my kids to mess with, and haven't used it since I started doing digital photos, so I haven't got much to show, but if you are stuck with an old condenser enlarger, and can't get rid of it, there are ways to have some fun anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version