Author Topic: A Little of My Photo History  (Read 892 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
A Little of My Photo History
« on: September 23, 2022, 19:03:46 »
I had a 40x40-ft studio, with two full floors and a third half floor. I mostly used a 40x-20-ft, high-ceiling, room as a studio. The problem was that, although it was less than a block from my home and all tricked-out, I seldom used it. I preferred to stay at home and use this tiny studio that I will show you in my home. I have since sold the large studio and just use what you see here.

It is cramped and tight in space, yet that space is fully used. And it has two large Anderson casement windows facing south, and a very large skylight in the ceiling, so I have (IMO) perfect lighting. And this is where I work in the winter. Summertime I work outside, although less than I used to.

Since I have this tiny studio organized for the moment, this is the perfect time to take a few photos, since it seldom stays that way for long. As you can see, there is a loft where I store road cases and a large number of lens and camera boxes. The rest of the photos should be obvious to any photographer. And now, something on my history with photography.

As for my having a lot of stuff, remember I have been photographing seriously since 1955 when I was 14 years old. My father loaned me his Kodak Retina IIa 35mm slide camera, along with a light meter, a tripod, and a set of close-up lenses.  Here is what remains of that system today, almost 70 years later. I went on a 6000-mile trip in an old school bus and a bunch of kids my age. And I took these photos.

Unfortunately, I can’t find my slides just now, so these are screen grabs pulled from a Microsoft PowerPoint talk, and at best they can give you but an idea of the originals. Most of these were from 1955, with a couple taken a little later on. Since I can only show so many images on a post, I will follow this post with the photos of my little studio. What’s the point? Not much, just to share a little of my history with fellow photographers and to hope to see some photos from wherever you hole up and work on photography, like your studio. Also share some early photos. These early photos are my first try at photography. Not bad for a 14-year old.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Re: A Little of My Photo History
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 19:11:55 »
And here are shots of my micro-studio today, 2022.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 19:42:53 »
Nice read and great to see the start images, quite impressive ;)

The studio is impressive.

I hope more will join with their stories ;)
Erik Lund

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 06:20:00 »
+1

Love the woodwork in your home Michael.

Hugh Gunn

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 09:51:21 »

+2
Interesting  :)
I may find some early B/W pictures, may not hold up to yours.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2022, 20:06:22 »
Please do Bent! ;)
Erik Lund