Author Topic: Don't You LOVE Confrontations When You're Out Photographing?  (Read 1107 times)

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
Don't You LOVE Confrontations When You're Out Photographing?
« on: September 07, 2022, 01:38:21 »
This is why I exclusively shoot alone in nature...

https://www.facebook.com/100070021313812/videos/1366812657182343

Street photography would be fun if it weren't for the  $#@%&!  people!

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
Re: Don't You LOVE Confrontations When You're Out Photographing?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 05:17:06 »
I’ve got to say I have every sympathy with the owners of those shops. The cameramen only had one aim > to annoy people, in order to promote their agenda of ‘freedom’.

Anyway - I agree that nature photography tends to have less aggravation, but try telling that to the two murder hornets I tried to take macro photos of at the weekend. Almost 2 inches long, and they looked like killers! There was even some yellow warning tape wrapped around the tree, warning about the hornets! But two of them controlling an entrance hole for ants was too good to miss.

But I did miss it, as I was too scared to get close, and eventually they noticed me and objected. No need for them to call the cops! … I ran away :-(
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 08:00:33 »
I'm of two minds here because I do think that many people get unduly uptight about public photography, with some rather odd ideas about what should and shouldn't be permitted, especially in a pedestrian-only section of town, where there are a fair number of buskers and street performers at times, as well as loiterers, homeless people, tourists, and just plain interesting cross sections of humanity.  For those unfamiliar with the locale, it's a section of downtown Burlington, VT. which is closed to traffic.  Not likely strange to Europeans, but rather unusual in an American city.  There used to be a nice camera store there, with a killer bargain section.  I bought a well worn but working plain prism black bodied Nikon F there once for $5.00.

On the other hand, I do think the photographer in this case was unduly confrontational, and having both still and video going makes it a somewhat different operation from simple street photography, and it looks as if he was inviting controversy.

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 16:14:26 »
I agree.  The "in-your-face" type of street photography bothers me.  The sole purpose being to incite a reaction.  We know people are paranoid today.  We're told the boogyman is behind every hedge and street sign by news media and politicians.  It's best to be as low key as possible.  These guys were spoiling for a negative reaction for their videos.

On the other hand, those confronting the photographers also came into the situation with an attitude that was clearly confrontational and wrong.  Those who were genuinely curious and non-confrontational were pleasant.  People are different and you gotta consider everyone's feelings.

"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 23:59:12 »
Civilised society depends on respect for others. The fact that one can legally do something does not mean that it is OK to do it. If someone asks me not to take their picture, then I don't take their picture. I have no desire to make someone unhappy by photographing them, even though legally I can.
Anthony Macaulay

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2022, 12:13:38 »
This is why I exclusively shoot alone in nature...

https://www.facebook.com/100070021313812/videos/1366812657182343

Street photography would be fun if it weren't for the  $#@%&!  people!

The "photographer" is out to annoy people. No respect. He deserves a proper treatment that fits his ugly behaviour.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2022, 12:14:31 »
Civilised society depends on respect for others. The fact that one can legally do something does not mean that it is OK to do it. If someone asks me not to take their picture, then I don't take their picture. I have no desire to make someone unhappy by photographing them, even though legally I can.

+1 and may god bless your new king
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2022, 19:57:53 »
I agree, and of course ironically the attitude seen here runs just counter to the peaceable and reasonable art of street photography, as it polarizes people and almost requires them to be belligerent if they value any privacy at all.  The person above reminds me a little of a "critical mass" cyclist in this regard.

It's too bad, because places like Church Street are obvious and ideal locations for photographers and people-watchers.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2022, 14:15:47 »
+1 and may god bless your new king

Thank you, Frank, the Queen has been a fixture and a presence for most for all of our lives, so it all feels rather strange.

She was working up to the last 48 hours, receiving the resignation of one Prime Minister, and formally appointing our third female Prime Minister.

We now have a new head of state and a new head of government.

Charles is only one day older than me. Instead of enjoying retirement he now takes on a lifelong and demanding job, for which he has been waiting all his life. I do not envy him.
Anthony Macaulay

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2022, 18:45:10 »
+1

Poor Charles has a long  row to hoe, as we colonials sometimes say of someone who has a huge amount of work in front of them.

Thank you, Frank, the Queen has been a fixture and a presence for most for all of our lives, so it all feels rather strange.

She was working up to the last 48 hours, receiving the resignation of one Prime Minister, and formally appointing our third female Prime Minister.

We now have a new head of state and a new head of government.

Charles is only one day older than me. Instead of enjoying retirement he now takes on a lifelong and demanding job, for which he has been waiting all his life. I do not envy him.
Hugh Gunn