Author Topic: Old Schoolhouses  (Read 1035 times)

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Member
Old Schoolhouses
« on: September 02, 2022, 04:11:41 »
Old Schoolhouses both in my own and nearby towns:

The Bullet Hill School, Southbury. Built in 1762 and used as a schoolhouse until 1941. Now a museum and educational center

The Good Hill Schoolhouse, Roxbury. Built sometime in the 1800s probably by local farmers. Decommissioned around 1900.

Mr. Munn’s Schoolhouse, Oxford. In service from 1850 until 1862. Currently under repairs.

South Center District School #2, Woodbury. Built in 1867, last used in 1900.

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
Re: Old Schoolhouses
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 08:45:51 »
A nice collection of schools,Tom. It's great to see buildings like these being preserved and restored, they're worth it.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 09:17:52 »
Very interesting presentation of the buildings with their historical background.  Thank you for sharing.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 12:42:14 »
Thanks Luc and Akira.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 12:54:17 »
Very nice. A preference for the second one - Roxbury Shool.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 13:08:09 »
Nice, interesting project, in this manner my mind grasps the notion of "bridges of Madison county".

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 01:57:40 »
Very nice. A preference for the second one - Roxbury Shool.

MFloyd, thanks for commenting. I like this one as well. This small school was given to the town of Roxbury along with 25 adjacent acres by Richard Widmark, a mid 20th century movie star who lived in the town. The likes of Dustin Hoffman and Daniel Day Lewis live there now - an instance of a small farming town that has become very chic.

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2022, 02:03:34 »
Nice, interesting project, in this manner my mind grasps the notion of "bridges of Madison county".

Thanks Fons, Madison county has its charms just like parts of Connecticut. I think in the future, if I happen to be in one of our small towns, I'll ask if they have saved one of these small schools, and if so, I'll take a picture of it.

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2022, 02:10:51 »
Here are the last two, Watertown and Newtown. Both schools were moved from their original spots.

The 1853 Watertown school now has a very quiet and attractive corner in the center of town and seems nicely situated.

Newtown placed their 1850 red school house in a barren field closely situated to a industrial strength modern school of no particular appeal. The 1850 antique looks utterly abandoned and out of place.