Author Topic: Jumping into UV fluorescence  (Read 980 times)

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
Jumping into UV fluorescence
« on: August 29, 2022, 06:46:50 »
In another sideways step into images vs photographs I am in the early stages of indulging in UV fluorescence. It’s ironic that the used Speedlight  only cost ¥2000, whereas the filters cost **##**! Still waiting for a 62-67mm step ring to mount the two filters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7i3jKGwBr0

I cannot create a totally dark ‘studio’ anywhere in my home, so I will be limited to nighttime excursions outside. But is total darkness really necessary? Curious to hear from aficionados who capture UV fluorescence images out in the wild.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Jumping into UV fluorescence
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 07:59:02 »
If you are into UV fluorescence and not the reflected UV photography, you would be better off getting a 365nm UV flashlight at  Amazon or eBay.  Those flashlights seems to come with the UV-pass filter glass at the front.  Just keep your eyes off of their reflectors and be careful of the treatment and choice of the 18650 battery.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 10:35:47 »
Head over to our 'sister' site www.ultravioletphotography.com and dive into the vast amount of stuff about UV-induced and other kinds of amazing fluorescence found there :).

One or two UV 365mm LED torches are pretty cheap on eBay and you can do a lot of UVIVF captures with such simple light sources. You only need filtration to block UV itself -- anything else is pretty standard photo gear.

In general, using a flash is not a great idea since you have little perception or control of the fluorescence induced.

The fluorescence of lint and dirt particles will amaze, or annoy, you depending on how clean you considered your subject to be before actually capturing the fluorescing image. Be warned.

Hints: lots of plastic material found in your household will fluoresce in bright colours. An old classic that never fails is a bottle of tonic water.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 11:37:19 »
Hints: lots of plastic material found in your household will fluoresce in bright colours. An old classic that never fails is a bottle of tonic water.

Indeed, yes!  Here you see some of my humble proof of many things in your household capable of fluorescing.  :)

Here (Post #20)...
https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=8531.15

...and here...

https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=9813.msg166946#msg166946
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 22:52:26 »
Thanks for sharing your knowledge :-)

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 03:48:31 »
We sell new 50mm Semrock brightline interference filters at over $3000 a piece, they are ludicrously expensive.
You are better off doing some kind of DIY with filters mounted at the rear of the lens, it will induce spherical aberrations, but it is far cheaper and the effect would be hard to see at lower magnifications.

Otherwise, purchase a 365nm flashlight or make something with 365nm LEDs.  Autofluorescence is a lot of fun.
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 05:18:40 »
We sell new 50mm Semrock brightline interference filters at over $3000 a piece, they are ludicrously expensive.
You are better off doing some kind of DIY with filters mounted at the rear of the lens, it will induce spherical aberrations, but it is far cheaper and the effect would be hard to see at lower magnifications.

Otherwise, purchase a 365nm flashlight or make something with 365nm LEDs.  Autofluorescence is a lot of fun.

Thanks.

In the end I was able to obtain both filters recommended by Don Komarechka, and I modified a Yongnuo speedlight. But circumstances (torn Achilles’ tendon) have limited my mobility and ability to venture to dark places.