Author Topic: The BEST ISO for D700 Black & Whites  (Read 2828 times)

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: The BEST ISO for D700 Black & Whites
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2022, 15:41:42 »
While I've lusted for a Leica Monochrome for some time now, it's not really financially feasible.  I just muddle through with what I have and make the best of it.  I also don't own one of the newer mirrorless Nikons--my newest model is a D810.

Comparing B&W results with the D810 and the D700, it's like medium format vs 35mm film to in my estimation.  The higher resolution and sharpness of the D810 sort of overpowers the emotional impact of the "gnarly" in the D700.  I just like the older files more for B&W, just as I preferred the look of 35mm film to medium and large format B&W in my youth.  For instance, I like Jeanloupe Sieff's Death Valley photos more than Ansel Adams' landscapes.  Personal preferences overwhelm reason, I guess.

I also use the D300, D2X and D2Xs models in DX format for B&W.  I like the results a lot.  The older models seemed to be able to produce technically less perfect images but the photos had more soul if that's even understandable.  Again, just my weird viewpoint.
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2022, 19:56:46 »
"The higher resolution and sharpness of the D810 sort of overpowers the emotional impact of the "gnarly" in the D700...   I like the results a lot.  The older models seemed to be able to produce technically less perfect images but the photos had more soul if that's even understandable."

Wow, this may be the most powerful statement I've ever read on black and white photography!   Talk about an image being worth a thousand words - the above comments from Dogman clearly and eloquently summarize a lifetime of experiences with black and white photography.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2022, 23:00:02 »
While I've lusted for a Leica Monochrome for some time now, it's not really financially feasible.  I just muddle through with what I have and make the best of it.  I also don't own one of the newer mirrorless Nikons--my newest model is a D810.

Comparing B&W results with the D810 and the D700, it's like medium format vs 35mm film to in my estimation.  The higher resolution and sharpness of the D810 sort of overpowers the emotional impact of the "gnarly" in the D700.  I just like the older files more for B&W, just as I preferred the look of 35mm film to medium and large format B&W in my youth.  For instance, I like Jeanloupe Sieff's Death Valley photos more than Ansel Adams' landscapes.  Personal preferences overwhelm reason, I guess.

I also use the D300, D2X and D2Xs models in DX format for B&W.  I like the results a lot.  The older models seemed to be able to produce technically less perfect images but the photos had more soul if that's even understandable.  Again, just my weird viewpoint.

I actually agree, also byass by preference. Just to illustrate it,  I recently went to share a meal with some close personal friends and I took my D300, 35mm 1.8dx and 80-200 2.8 ed. I knew it was to be an emotional charged day and that was my choice, go figure.
   On line with your questions, both the d700 and d300 just work for my taste in b&w. Less dynamic range and stronger noise has certain appeal to me too  :)

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2022, 23:40:49 »
It's good to know I'm not the only weird one around here.   ;D ;)
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2022, 23:47:07 »
Definitely not...and I take it as a compliment  ;) ;D ;D 8)

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2022, 03:19:28 »
I first ran into Sieff in the 1979 edition of the Amphoto Cameras and Operating Techniquesvolume in the Cooper and Abbot series, where there are a number of his pictures using mostly the 24/2.8 lens, which he seems to have favored, and Tri-X. 

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2022, 05:31:23 »
Another example of exceptional photos by a photographer who primarily used just one lens.   

I've been trying my best to get rid of most of my lens hoard and specialize in just a few lenses of relatively similar focals (for me 85 - 135mm).

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2022, 15:02:29 »
Other than his landscapes, Sieff is noted to have been one of the great photographers of the female derriere

:o ::) 8)

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2022, 15:08:15 »
Having D700 as my favourite camera I will add my comment as well.
I have to say that I mainly shoot in color but love the BW output nontheless. Truth to be told I don´t concentrate on noise per se (for that I have film MF camera), but years ago, when I wanted to emulate BW film, I used NIK Silver EFEX Pro software which I have found very capable. I do not know if it is still available these days though.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2022, 16:12:00 »
Great portraits Petr

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2022, 16:36:59 »

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2022, 19:58:05 »
I agree, lovely portraits.   I especially like the sharpness, tones, and the limited depth with the ears being soft.   Well done!

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2022, 08:56:02 »
Thank you, guys.

BTW, I checked whether I could use above mentioned NIK Silver EFEX Pro on my iPad - and unfortunately I cannot. It could be run on Mac, but unfortunately not iPad.

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2022, 10:50:02 »
I mainly shoot in color but love the BW output nontheless.

I love the tones in these Petr, esp the second shot