Author Topic: Getting shallow DOF matching an equivalent of 50mm f0.4 lens!  (Read 1245 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
DIY Perks, one of my favorite DIY YouTube channels offers an interesting way to get an extremely shallow DOF.

There have been similar optical attachments for small sensor movie cameras, but this contraption is very cleverly made with the motorized focusing system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cT0jXI7l4E
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
Re: Getting shallow DOF matching an equivalent of 50mm f0.4 lens!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 21:00:06 »
Truly amazing video, thank you for posting the link.

And I thought my f/0.80 lenses were fast with thin bokeh, their results pale when compared to this guys f0.40 lens!

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 21:03:58 »
His lens is f/5

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 22:17:12 »
His lens is f/5
Yes its an f5 lens,  the given low f number is the “ equivalence”  if the lens was 50mm  ;D

So just keep your real f/ 0.80 lens :)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 22:45:03 »
The lens is 450mm? or something around that figure. *Not* 50mm.

What makes the nice bokeh is the large circles of confusion as these are directly related to the size of the physical aperture.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 10:01:22 »
The lens is 450mm? or something around that figure. *Not* 50mm.

What makes the nice bokeh is the large circles of confusion as these are directly related to the size of the physical aperture.

But you would need a 50mm-ish f.0.4 lens to achieve the similar look on a full-frame sensor maybe?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 10:13:25 »
f/0.4 is a pipe dream. So the point is moot. Even more so as the image magnification of a 50mm lens is 9 times smaller than a 450mm optic. Depth of field relates to image magnification (and aperture).

I have used 300mm f/2 Nikkor. Its physical aperture is approx. 15cm. Which means it will blur even more than the episcope lens used in the Youtube presentation.

Toby

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Toby Marshall
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 12:05:35 »
But you would need a 50mm-ish f.0.4 lens to achieve the similar look on a full-frame sensor maybe?

I haven't done the math, but it doesn't really matter. Any fast long lens with will give you this look. Here is a 212mm f2 lens on FF. The crazy thing is that this lens has an image circle of over 200mm, so using the maximum image circle would indeed give very shallow DOF for a given AOV. But even on FF it doesn't look much different than what was posted on UToob

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2022, 15:30:30 »
I haven't done the math, but it doesn't really matter. Any fast long lens with will give you this look. Here is a 212mm f2 lens on FF. The crazy thing is that this lens has an image circle of over 200mm, so using the maximum image circle would indeed give very shallow DOF for a given AOV. But even on FF it doesn't look much different than what was posted on UToob

This particular image looks pleasing.  But I remember that I was deeply impressed by the image shot with the first version of 50mm/f1.0 Noctilux in the 90s.  As dedicated standard lens shooter, I'm sucker for the paper-thin DOF with the AOV of a standard lens.   ::)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2022, 21:42:19 »
Is the "Toby image" the Dallmeyer Super Six 2.0 lens?

The Canon 0.95 makes very "creamy" images...........I can see from the Flickr.
Is it sharp enough for portraits at 0.95?

I have noticed that the price level of this lens is quite high. If not it could have been a fun addition to the Z-system :-)
But still cheaper than the new 0.95 Noct Nikkor.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2022, 22:17:24 »
Well......I thought the Dallmeyer lens was a cheap way to get a approx. 200/2 lens.......but it is not?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254694690720

Is this the lens Toby has?

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2022, 19:04:28 »
Well......I thought the Dallmeyer lens was a cheap way to get a approx. 200/2 lens.......but it is not?

Want a cheap way to 200/2 ?? Buy a 200/2.8 or 3.5 and put it on a Metabones Speed Booster on either a MFT or Fuji X body!

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2022, 21:05:07 »
I have an AF Nikkor 300/2.8 EDIF with "screwdriver" AF. It has been in its large case for many years without any use.
I often wonder why as it is ok at 2.8 and bokeh quality is also ok. Then the lens is "chipped" by factory which is nice when used on a Z-body.
It makes it easier to focus as the focus points turns from red to green.
I also have the "screwdriver" version of the Nikkor 85/1.4 and even an AIS noct nikkor.
Don't know why it is more fun to get some strange vintage glass to put on the body. But Dallmeyer bokeh looks quite interesting.
Maybe standard Nikkor bokeh is not "artistic" enough?

I while ago I got a Meyer Optik 300/4 Orestegor. The old version with M42 mount. It has been cleaned and ready to go but not tried it yet. It is quite heavy. Got it to make "strange bokeh". The old version was reported to have less CA then the newer versions of it. This old one was really cheap......50$ or so. Therefor I was chocked by the Dallmeyer lens price.

I am sure the AF Nikkor 300/2.8 will give me much sharper images.........

What is your view on this?    .....not using the nice Nikkor glass but some strange vintage lenses?